Jawsh27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm approaching the time when I choose my GCSE topic, and now it is compulsory to choose Geography or History, what should I choose?
_ariane29
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well it depends what you like. If you like essay writing choose history but if you prefer facts, data and case studies choose Geography
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
history is the best but it depends on you, if you are more sciency then geog would probably suit you but history is the best
emma_rob_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are good at english or modern studies I'd go for history, if you are good at sciences and maths I'd go for Geography
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Geography is boring af , who cares about cliffs and ****. History is where the action is at!
Ekno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
geography is a piece of piss, easy grade. History is much harder to get an A* in imo
beckyjdavey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
History teaches you more valuable skills e.g. debating, essay writing, forming an opinion etc. I'd say its favoured above geography for employers, universities, colleges etc but i am a biased historian!
harrietw1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
History is more recognised I would say
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would choose the subject you find more interesting and think you would get a better grade in
Pronged Lily
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Same, I hated both- ended up choosing Geography because I'm better at mathsy/sciency stuff, but I find it soooo incredibly boring -_-
You have to spend ages learning about all the case studies and random facts if you want to get the top marks and you still have to write kind of mini-essayish things on them.

If you like enjoy one of them more, take that one, don't just take one because you think it'll be easier. But yeah, probably take geography if you find learning facts easier than writing essays- though you'll still have to do quite a bit of writing in the exam.
draculaura
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jawsh27)
I'm approaching the time when I choose my GCSE topic, and now it is compulsory to choose Geography or History, what should I choose?
The choice is yours, but I honestly will say History every step of the way. It's more interesting. Would you rather learn of wars and revolutions? Or climate graphs and the way rivers are formed? I think I know which one I would go with

And, with History - when you find it interesting, it sinks in easily. It's just essays you have to write. Ask which periods you're going to be studying, and if they're parts of history that you really like - it's a winning situation.
Fleming1928
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took both at GCSE. Got an A* in history and A in geography,
Geography was the most boring subject I ever took. All we did was learn about cliffs, rocks etc. Getting that A was a real pain.
History, on the other hand, became my favourite subject due to the GCSE period as it was very interesting. We learned about medicine through time and the American West. Medicine was the most interesting topic I've even learned, my username on TSR is actually linked to my GCSE history as Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928. Even though it might seem boring to learn about dates, that's one of the least important things. You learn about so many different and interesting facts, you'll end up remembering the dates naturally.

i'd also say that history offers you better skills such as essay writing and debating. Also, don't worry about being bombarded with a reading list, that doesn't happen until A Levels
burninglikefire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jawsh27)
which one do you enjoy most? i enjoy geography. that also means that i don't have to remember all these dates and names of famous people.
wobuaini
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Idk which exam board you're doing or what your teacher is like, but I do both and have a mediocre teacher who doesn't know where countries are located for Geog and a completely useless failed P.E teacher for History, through self study I know that I prefer Geog to Hist by far just because of the topics... I don't want to learn any more useless pub quiz dates about America between the 1920's and the 1970's (Everything we have learnt is about America, a country that isn't too appealing to me and ISN'T EVEN WHERE WE LIVE. In Geography we have learned some vaguely interesting things like about population and random economics, which I'm studying next year.

I will not be choosing either for my A levels
nox1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took both and got A*s and nearly full UMS on both and both with OCR

As lots of people have said, geography was the most boring subject. It was fun in year 9, but as soon as we started in year 10 it was extremely dull, no matter how interesting the teacher tried to make it. The case studies took a fair bit of learning as well. However, the exam was very easy in my opinion.
On the other hand, history was so interesting. The exams were a bit harder, but with good exam technique and knowledge of facts, it was not impossible to do well, and many people got As and A*s at my school. I also feel history benefited all my other subjects so much more than geography did - the essay writing skills have been so useful, especially at A-Level now where other subjects like languages, and even the sciences, need to have a more structured approach.
Jones327
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a*s in both and, personally, I found history much more interesting. That said, the exams themselves are harder. With geography it's just a matter of memorising facts, but with history you have to be able to construct balanced arguments, make judgements etc..

If I had to chose my GCSEs again, I'd do history, but nothing would make me relive double geography on a Monday morning - it was mind numbingly dull.
M4keen04
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
dont you think those essay writing skills are also covered in english because i do many long controlled assessments and essays in AQA English, or does doing history improve those skills more, or in a way that english doesnt?
Emsy4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I may be a little biased as I take history at GCSE, but I think it is such an interesting subject. Some of it may be boring or you may not care for that part of history, but it's still really exciting. If you're good with English then I find History will come very good as it applies a lot of skill you may use in English. Whereas for Geography, I've heard many of my friends say it's a boring option, but it's really up to you! Which subject do you find most interesting now, and read the other comments on the thread so you can make an educated choice. Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads