The Student Room Group

Should I apply for September 2016 or January 2017??

I'm stuck on which one to apply for. I think it'd be nice to have a little break before going to uni but isn't is a disadvantage cause they take a smaller group of people?? But at the same time less people will apply for the January start right?? I also feel like starting in January gives me more time to get work experience
Original post by Pine3278
I'm stuck on which one to apply for. I think it'd be nice to have a little break before going to uni but isn't is a disadvantage cause they take a smaller group of people?? But at the same time less people will apply for the January start right?? I also feel like starting in January gives me more time to get work experience

You've kind of answered your own question. It depends on the university but I don't think there tends to be a big difference in cohort size between intakes.
Original post by Pine3278

They'll want you to have the work experience before they offered you a place or the interview really so if delaying your application means you d put yourself in a better position as you d have more experience by then, then i d say go for january.
Original post by ForestCat
You've kind of answered your own question. It depends on the university but I don't think there tends to be a big difference in cohort size between intakes.

My university halves the cohort size for the march intake or so we've been told but I believe they get much less applying for that intake especially for mh branch.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
They'll want you to have the work experience before they offered you a place or the interview really so if delaying your application means you d put yourself in a better position as you d have more experience by then, then i d say go for january.

If I put on my application that I'm deferring so I can get more work experience in do you think that will make a difference? If not it's ok I'll just think of this as a practice and apply again for Jan 2017 next year
Original post by claireestelle
My university halves the cohort size for the march intake or so we've been told but I believe they get much less applying for that intake especially for mh branch.

Hmm interesting. I stand corrected then.

OP, it won't reduce your chances though. If they like you (i.e. you pass interview) and their feb intake is full, they'll simply offer you Sept 2017 instead.

OP, it won't reduce your chances though. If they like you (i.e. you pass interview) and their feb intake is full, they'll simply offer you Sept 2017 instead.

It's probably because they don't have the physical space to manage 2 lots of 400 students at once so they have to make one intake much smaller. But i think you're right that smaller universities like you said probably wont have as massive difference between the two :smile:
Reply 7

Oh ok thank you :smile:
It depends on what you're planning on doing before going to University. I guess if you worked up until January 2017, you'd be better off financially at University and your CV would have something extra on it, but if you started University in September 2016, you'd get your qualification quicker. It depends what you want and why. A lot of the time when I know I'm starting something new, I can't wait to get stuck in and get started so hate waiting around x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending