Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just to add gonna go out and get drunk on the monday although got lessons next day Then got aload of partys till the hols start then I got a lads trip to Ibiza which should be...interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I've only been to the LSE and Birmingham (which doesn't really count as it's only up the road).
    I'm going to go to Manchester and Bristol within the next fortnight. I'm going to the Durham one, which I think is in the next month or so. As for beyond that, to be honest I haven't really looked at the schedules (which reminds me I should look at opendays.com).

I want to have a look at UCL, Exeter, Nottingham (although I haven't booked) and Cambridge (which I may be going on a school trip to). I applied for a Law summer school at Oxford, but they haven't contacted me - which could be a good thing, as I've begun to have second thoughts about it.
    do you know when the UCL open day is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    do you know when the UCL open day is?
    Nope - but I'll have a look now.

ReputationRep:
    Bugger - September 16th, that's going to be a busy month for me, lol.

ReputationRep:
    www.opendays.com is pretty useful. Personally thinking of going to Bristol and Birmingham plus I really wanna go to Manchester as thats now my first choice but can't make it Already been to Warwick and it was well nice but still unsure about if it'll get boring after 3 years. Might also go to a London one just to see although I have no intentions of staying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Thankyou, history it is then! Are you taking AS-levels? Which subject are you thinking of doing at university?
    Definitely a good call

I'm actually taking A2s at the moment, and I've accepted an offer from Bristol to do English so keeping my fingers crossed for AAB. I loved it there when I visited - definitely try and go up to an open day if you can. It's got a campus feel along Woodland Road (the arts departments are side by side in these lovely Georgian houses) and yet you can just walk down the hill and be right in the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

I considered a load of other subjects for uni (namely history, law, politics and philosophy) but English has always been the one subject I never get tired of and actually enjoy being challenged in. I'm so glad I made that decision now, because under the pressure of A2s English is the only subject I've still completely enjoyed, even during revision, and I think that bodes pretty well for 3 years of immersion in it

Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Definitely a good call

I'm actually taking A2s at the moment, and I've accepted an offer from Bristol to do English so keeping my fingers crossed for AAB. I loved it there when I visited - definitely try and go up to an open day if you can. It's got a campus feel along Woodland Road (the arts departments are side by side in these lovely Georgian houses) and yet you can just walk down the hill and be right in the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

I considered a load of other subjects for uni (namely history, law, politics and philosophy) but English has always been the one subject I never get tired of and actually enjoy being challenged in. I'm so glad I made that decision now, because under the pressure of A2s English is the only subject I've still completely enjoyed, even during revision, and I think that bodes pretty well for 3 years of immersion in it

Where are you thinking of applying?
    To be honest, because I had been considering Law for ages prior to the last week or so, I haven't had a chance to scour through prospectuses for the specific content of History courses. I really want to do a course which covers 18th century History in Britain and (if possible) France too. In addition, the interaction between the Colonial powers and the American Colonies is something which facinates me, and which I want to know more about, lol. If I could do a course which either offers these topics as modules or alternatively provides a flexible framework which allows me to study them as options - that would be great.

I am considering Manchester, LSE, UCL, Exeter, Durham, Bristol and Nottingham. Judging purely from the prospectus (on my lap, lol), Oxford appears to have some fantastic Modern History combination courses: Modern History and Politics looks really, really great. St. Andrews is meant to be great for History too and I would love to visit it.

ReputationRep:
    bio foundation- tuff
    transport-simple
    h and d- aiight

chem 2- simple
    chem 4 5 and 6 are all next week!!!!

ict- 4 next wk, shud b aiight

s2- aiight
    p3- tommorrow!!! argh!!

plannin to go turkey with frends.. i get to visit troy!!
    (yes i;m a bit over obesessed with the whole troy )

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah as for uni... lol
    i;m taking a gap yr
    i'm dying to get into med.. but if i dont i'm just gonna have to accept it
    i'm waaay too sick of a levels to do retakes.. so i got a job lined up for my gap i must just stay with them and work up the ladder from there...

maths at kings is still open.. but i dont no if i wanna go uni if i dont get into med let alone do maths...

all will b decided in august hey?

for the time being i got turkey to look 4wqrd
    plus i wanna go india and egypt durin my gap...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Shameless uni promotion.....University of Edinburgh Open Day - Friday 18 June 2004
    I can't make it on Friday, d'you reckon they'd let me have a look around another time ?

Edinburgh is a strong possibility for me; how's the Languages department ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    I can't make it on Friday, d'you reckon they'd let me have a look around another time ?

Edinburgh is a strong possibility for me; how's the Languages department ?
    Yeah, I've never really considered Scotland, all a bit too far away for me. What's so great about it? Convince me!

ReputationRep:
    Mine went better than i thought I think i worried a bit too much about my exams, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Yeah, I've never really considered Scotland, all a bit too far away for me. What's so great about it? Convince me!
    Scandinavian and Russian, as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather go to UEA, if the *******s don't close the language department :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Scandinavian and Russian, as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather go to UEA, if the *******s don't close the language department :mad:
    Are you going to the UEA open day? I'm making my way there on the 2nd. I didn't know they might close the language department :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Are you going to the UEA open day? I'm making my way there on the 2nd. I didn't know they might close the language department :confused:
    Yep, I'm going. Apparently they're thinking of closing both the languages and drama departments. Not bothered about the latter, but at the moment, UEA is one of the only places in the country where you can study Scandinavian languages.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm going. Apparently they're thinking of closing both the languages and drama departments. Not bothered about the latter, but at the moment, UEA is one of the only places in the country where you can study Scandinavian languages.
    Bit strange to close down the best/only one in the country. Theres got to be a reason behind that :confused:.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't finished my exams yet, leave me alone!

ReputationRep:
    geography- good
    law-good
    biology- good
    english lang and lit- ****

ReputationRep:
    The more I think about how my exams went, the more worried I get!

Critical Thinking - think I messed but but really don't care
    English - went ok, commentary a bit short. You can never tell with English!
    Psychology - went well although I forgot all the names when I got in there. Hoping for an A
    Geog - seriously messed up physical, human not much better. Looks like I'll be retaking
    Hist - went ok I think. Henry VIII question was really good - the one thing I knew came up! The resit questions were evil, I prob chose the wrong one but there is no way I'm resitting it again!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Bit strange to close down the best/only one in the country. Theres got to be a reason behind that :confused:.
    Not enough money. No one wants to study languages these days.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.