Caius Filimon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!

I was just wondering how many people have managed to get into their desired universities while lacking the AS level results, but having the required predicted grades and good references from their teachers.

I, for one, really am stressing a lot about whether universities will think my teachers are only being overenthusiastic. Would it matter if the pupil plans on resitting some AS level exams?

Both happy stories and sad stories are welcome.
High Stakes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Predicted grades trump achieved AS grades in most cases if they seem realistic. For example, a B at AS and an A* prediction at A2 would be acceptable. It's a leap but it's not unimaginable. But obviously if you have a D and are being predicted an A, the admission tutors won't be very trusting of such a high prediction.
Caius Filimon
Rep:
?
(Original post by High Stakes)
Predicted grades trump achieved AS grades in most cases if they seem realistic. For example, a B at AS and an A* prediction at A2 would be acceptable. It's a leap but it's not unimaginable. But obviously if you have a D and are being predicted an A, the admission tutors won't be very trusting of such a high prediction.
That is great to know; thank you.

I don't suppose that going from AAACC to A*A*AAB predicted would seem unrealistic, would it?
BlueReptiles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Caius Filimon)
That is great to know; thank you.

I don't suppose that going from AAACC to A*A*AAB predicted would seem unrealistic, would it?
that C to an A jump would seem dubious and if your school has a history of overpredicting students grades the admissions officers would know that and would take it I account when they read your application
Caius Filimon
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueReptiles)
that C to an A jump would seem dubious and if your school has a history of overpredicting students grades the admissions officers would know that and would take it I account when they read your application
The school is actually really quite pessimistic in predicting grades. So I suppose that universities even have access to the sort of information* that shows the % of erroneous predictions? That would work in my favor as it would show how scared the teachers are of over predicting (it took plenty of persuasion and extra work on my part).

Would you say that it would also be considered that I moved to the UK in 6th form from a great school abroad to this terrible one? And I really should mention that one of the As is in General Studies
BlueReptiles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The school is actually really quite pessimistic in predicting grades. So I suppose that universities even have access to the sort of influence that shows the % of erroneous predictions? That would work in my favor as it would show how scared the teachers are of over predicting (it took plenty of persuasion and extra work on my part).

Would you say that it would also be considered that I moved to the UK in 6th form from a great school abroad to this terrible one? And I really should mention that one of the As is in General Studies
universities generally ignore general studies tbh
If thats the history of your school then im sure youll be fine for predictions
I was predicted an A in maths after getting an E at AS but that was because I started the course in march and only managed to get partway through C2 and M1 by the start of exams so I was ****ed lol
Caius Filimon
Rep:
?
universities generally ignore general studies tbh
If thats the history of your school then im sure youll be fine for predictions
I was predicted an A in maths after getting an E at AS but that was because I started the course in march and only managed to get partway through C2 and M1 by the start of exams so I was ****ed lol
Haha, that's pretty uncommon. I'm glad you managed to get that predicted grade though.

Welp, may lady luck be with us and our applications then.
BlueReptiles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha, that's pretty uncommon. I'm glad you managed to get that predicted grade though.

Welp, may lady luck be with us and our applications then.
oh no, im in the year above lol, I managed to get that A too lol
Caius Filimon
Rep:
?
oh no, im in the year above lol, I managed to get that A too lol
Oh o.O Congrats!

Might I ask what grades you ended up with and what uni/course you got into? ;p
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads