The Student Room Group

Sixth Form interview at Magdalen College School?

Is anyone else applying?

Is so, what grades are you predicted? and how did you prepare for the interview?

And if you have done the interview: advice will be gr8?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
BUMP
Original post by BULL14
BUMP

Although I didn't apply for that college heres a few tips for the day:
-Stay positive
-Smile it actually helps trust me
- Speak up not mumbled

and good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Although I didn't apply for that college heres a few tips for the day:
-Stay positive
-Smile it actually helps trust me
- Speak up not mumbled

and good luck :smile:

thanx
Reply 5
what grades are you predicted?
Reply 6
n
vugvvgvhjvgghv
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
I feel that I won't get in
Heya! Presuming this is MCS Oxford, I have a few friends who go there and told me about their interview. Essentially, you need to make sure you're reading around the subjects you want to do at A Level, and need to be able to show both that you're a) enthusiastic about said subjects and b) an A* student for those subjects, if they're ones you take already. So practicing with mock papers is good!
Reply 9
This is about 3 years too late but I went through all of these pages before my interview because I was so nervous and they really helped, so for anyone who might be planning to apply or about to do their interview this is how it went for me:

1) The school would have told you that there are a total of 3 20-min interviews, with 2 subject interviews (depending on which A level subjects you choose, it will be different for everyone and one general interview.)

2) I thought it would be just me there but there were about 20 other different candidates there too, which was nerve-wracking for me I guess as you were kind of seeing who you were up against. They split you up into 2 different groups so one group sits in a room to do the verbal reasoning test first, while the others do their interviews.

3) Verbal reasoning - I think it lasts 45 min or an hour? I cant remember but they're basically all problem solving logic questions with some basic math and english involved, kind of like puzzles (eg. stuff w the alphabet, days of the week, etc.) I didn't prepare so I had no idea what to expect, but most people didn't finish the paper or guessed. For me they were quite hard because I'd never really done anything like it.

4) Subject interviews - the math one was quite hard, for an idea of what to expect the math teacher calls you into a room and gives you some math questions to do. They aren't really technical so much as problem solving.....for me I found it extremely hard the teacher was extremely nice though and he basically taught me how to do the questions, even though afterwards I thought I had completely messed up. They really emphasised the thought process so with every step I did they asked me why I did it or to explain why I arrived at that conclusion. Biology was a little bit easier. It was just explaining and answering some questions. Each person will be tested on entirely different topics so I would really make sure I knew my GCSE stuff from that subject.

5) General interview - my interviewer was really nice, it was mostly just a relaxed conversation. Before you go to the interview the school should have asked you to fill in a form about yourself. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT"S ON IT because that's all they'll ask you about, and don't make anything up if u can't remember what you put! It was entirely about extracurriculars, I think they wanted to know what you would add to the school. However I really enjoyed this part of the interview, it was nice to have someone genuinely interested in knowing you. ** they're really looking for balanced extracurriculars so make sure you have a little bit of everything to talk about? (arts, music, sports, etc.)

Wow I wrote a lot more than I though I would - hope this helps someone! This is only my own experience though, so don't base anything just on this! Their interviews are extremely personalised so everyone will end up having completely different experiences and questions. Some advice I have is to really prepare for these interviews! The general interview questions are pretty predictable (I memorised paragraphs of answers and it really paid off!), and as for the rest make sure you know your subject well. I ended up getting in despite not finishing the verbal reasoning paper and completely messing up on the math interview and struggling just a bit on the biology interview, so don't worry about getting questions wrong or needing a little help! You might think you did horrible but I think they make the interviews so you're actually meant to struggle a bit. Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
This has actually helped me sooooo much! My interview is in 2 weeks, so thank you! Are you currently in the sixth form?

Quick Reply

Latest