help with variable multiplication and division please

Watch
nhtw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I always get confused with when I am allowed to multiply or divide by variables.

I know you cant divide a variable if it can equal 0 because you will lose solutions.

So what is the rule with multiplying by a variable? please also tell me other rules that I haven't mentioned if there are any.

for example 1/cos(x)=sin(x)/cos(x)

I know that there are no solutions for this equation but my working goes

times both sides by cos(x) to get 1=sin(x) which does give solutions so what is wrong?
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nhtw)
I always get confused with when I am allowed to multiply or divide by variables.

I know you cant divide a variable if it can equal 0 because you will lose solutions.

So what is the rule with multiplying by a variable? please also tell me other rules that I haven't mentioned if there are any.

times both sides by cos(x) to get 1=sin(x) which does give solutions so what is wrong?
Multiplying can give spurious solutions whilst dividing loses solutions (some times) \sin x = 1 precisely when \cos x = 0 so you're essentially dividing by zero.

You could also manipulate that into \tan x = \sec x after which a quick sketch demonstrates no solutions.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nhtw)

P.S: you're not dividing or multiplying variables, you dividing and multiplying functions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
12.07%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (28)
24.14%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (50)
43.1%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
17.24%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.45%

Watched Threads