TheAgyeiman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Notts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks I'll take this into account why do you recommend Notts over Manchester?
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by TheAgyeiman)
- Better finance society
- It's a semi-target university
- Campus is beautiful
- Study abroad opportunities
- More people from Notts make it into FO IB than Manchester
- Beautiful people

Posted from TSR Mobile
username738914
Rep:
?
(Original post by BruhBru)
These are the roles I was talking about,
- Analyst
- Associate
- Vice President (Also called Associate Director in some banks)
- Director
- Managing Director.

I only asked here because when I look elsewhere I don't always get the information I wanted, but you seem to be really knowledgeable about the subject.
For Analysts:
http://www.allaboutcareers.com/featu...t-salary-index - adjust the base by £5k at each tier because they've gone up since 2012.

Associates start off at: £70-75k base + 80-100% bonus + £20k signing bonus

The values start to become unpredictable after the VP level, expect mid six figs (VPs) then all the way up to low 7 figs for MDs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
seasoned_veteran
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Analysts:
http://www.allaboutcareers.com/featu...t-salary-index - adjust the base by £5k at each tier because they've gone up since 2012.

The values start to become unpredictable after the VP level, expect mid six figs (VPs) then all the way up to low 7 figs for MDs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only speaking from a S+T perspective here,

VPs - 90-130k basic bonus is really hard to predict, depends on desk/product/if your sales/trading/research

Director - 130-160k basics

MD - 200k+ basics - again this depends as some MDs are executive Directors and so forth, but its usually around this figure, 250k.
BruhBru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Analysts:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, if you don't mind answering, what sort of hours have you worked in your career? Say when you started as an Analyst and how they have changed as you have climbed the ladder.
username738914
Rep:
?
Thanks, if you don't mind answering, what sort of hours have you worked in your career? Say when you started as an Analyst and how they have changed as you have climbed the ladder.
You should be asking the above poster about this(he's worked through the ranks), as I haven't started my job yet.

For IBD:
Analysts pull 80 hours a week on average (spikes of up to 100, troughs of about 70), that decreases to about 65 - 75 as an Associate (with spikes of 90), then 60 - 65 as a VP, then about 55 - 60 as an MD.

S&T is more uniformly 60 hours throughout (maybe a bit less at the VP to MD level).

Posted from TSR Mobile
seasoned_veteran
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should be asking the above poster about this(he's worked through the ranks), as I haven't started my job yet.

For IBD:
Analysts pull 80 hours a week on average (spikes of up to 100, troughs of about 70), that decreases to about 65 - 75 as an Associate (with spikes of 90), then 60 - 65 as a VP, then about 55 - 60 as an MD.

S&T is more uniformly 60 hours throughout (maybe a bit less at the VP to MD level).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha, you know I first used this forum in 2008 when I was an intern/grad - think the predecessor was a forum called Nicube and there was WikiJobs too - but this forum was fantastic - and I've been on my gardening leave, bored and wondered if this forum still existed and loved to see it was and people passing around info - reminded me of the excitement and joy of applications/interviews, its brilliant.

But yeah S+T hours are 6.45-5.30 for sales and trading, research usually stay till 6. Capital markets will be 7-6 but if they are working on a complex deal (usually a leveraged transaction) the hours are longer, but never overnight.

The hours don't tend to change as you get senior MDs and Ds have meetings 5 onwards, traders have risk meetings (which VP and above attend) which is 5 onwards, so if anything their hours are longer.
BruhBru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by seasoned_veteran)
Only speaking from a S+T perspective here,

VPs - 90-130k basic bonus is really hard to predict, depends on desk/product/if your sales/trading/research

Director - 130-160k basics

MD - 200k+ basics - again this depends as some MDs are executive Directors and so forth, but its usually around this figure, 250k.
Hi, what is a S+T? I tried to look it up online, but can't find out what it means.
BruhBru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
as I haven't started my job yet.
Posted from TSR Mobile
What? In the first post this is what is says. "First, a bit about myself. I am a VP (more on what tiers actually mean later) in a corporate finance team at a BB in London. for some more background for other UK redditors I attended St Pauls school boarding, and went to Oxford University in the very early 2000s. I have been in this industry for about 11 years, and am 32."
Breakingbank
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What? In the first post this is what is says. "First, a bit about myself. I am a VP (more on what tiers actually mean later) in a corporate finance team at a BB in London. for some more background for other UK redditors I attended St Pauls school boarding, and went to Oxford University in the very early 2000s. I have been in this industry for about 11 years, and am 32."
And in the first few lines he says "I am going to 'repost' a solid guide"
BruhBru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Breakingbank)
And in the first few lines he says "I am going to 'repost' a solid guide"
Lol, thanks. I don't know why, but I just didn't acknowledge that.
Terry Tibbs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheAgyeiman)
Since I go there, I'll say a bit about why Manchester might be better from my experience.

The IB society here is the largest in the uni and does regular events to help you with applications and teach you about general concepts within IB if you're not that knowledgeable about the job and what it entails.

It's a semi-target uni, I saw a post here with stats on the proportions of people from different universities in FO jobs and Manchester was somewhere at the top (above Nottingham), can't find it though unfortunately.
username738914
Rep:
?
(Original post by Terry Tibbs)
Since I go there, I'll say a bit about why Manchester might be better from my experience.

The IB society here is the largest in the uni and does regular events to help you with applications and teach you about general concepts within IB if you're not that knowledgeable about the job and what it entails.

It's a semi-target uni, I saw a post here with stats on the proportions of people from different universities in FO jobs and Manchester was somewhere at the top (above Nottingham), can't find it though unfortunately.
This says otherwise:
79 - Oxford (18.3%)
71 - Cambridge (16.2%)
70 - LSE (16.4%)
61 - Warwick (14.2%)
41 - UCL (9.5%)
30 - Imperial (7%)

Target universities: 81.7%

23 - Durham (5.3%)
16 - Nottingham (3.7%)
10 - Bristol (2.3%)
6 - Birmingham (1.4%)
5 - KCL (1.2%)
3 - Cass (0.7%)
3 - Bath (0.7%)

Semi-target universities: 15.4%

4 - Loughborough (0.9%)
2 - Leeds (0.5%)
2 - Exeter (0.5%)
2 - Manchester (0.5%)
2 - Surrey (0.5%)
1 - Sheffield (0.2%)

Rest: 3%

No. of SW participants: 431
BruhBru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Princepieman Since you have not started your job yet, what are you currently studying and where?
username738914
Rep:
?
Princepieman Since you have not started your job yet, what are you currently studying and where?
Will be at Warwick doing Maths and CompSci (Data Science) this October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BruhBru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Will be at Warwick doing Maths and CompSci (Data Science) this October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, well done. What were your A-level grades?
Terry Tibbs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This says otherwise:
79 - Oxford (18.3%)
71 - Cambridge (16.2%)
70 - LSE (16.4%)
61 - Warwick (14.2%)
41 - UCL (9.5%)
30 - Imperial (7%)

Target universities: 81.7%

23 - Durham (5.3%)
16 - Nottingham (3.7%)
10 - Bristol (2.3%)
6 - Birmingham (1.4%)
5 - KCL (1.2%)
3 - Cass (0.7%)
3 - Bath (0.7%)

Semi-target universities: 15.4%

4 - Loughborough (0.9%)
2 - Leeds (0.5%)
2 - Exeter (0.5%)
2 - Manchester (0.5%)
2 - Surrey (0.5%)
1 - Sheffield (0.2%)

Rest: 3%

No. of SW participants: 431
You can can find conflicting stats for plenty of things, we're all going to pick the one that we like the look of the most and flaunt it as "the right one". As for this one, I've seen plenty that aren't at all consistent with it, don't know what the source for that is anyway. Don't get me wrong, there may very well be places that have a higher proportion from Notts, just don't want you leading someone to assume beyond all doubt that he'll have a statistical advantage going to Notts.
username738914
Rep:
?
Wow, well done. What were your A-level grades?
A*A*A prediction
AAAAC Scottish Higher
equiv of 3A*s and 5As at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
username738914
Rep:
?
(Original post by Terry Tibbs)
You can can find conflicting stats for plenty of things, we're all going to pick the one that we like the look of the most and flaunt it as "the right one". As for this one, I've seen plenty that aren't at all consistent with it, don't know what the source for that is anyway. Don't get me wrong, there may very well be places that have a higher proportion from Notts, just don't want you leading someone to assume beyond all doubt that he'll have a statistical advantage going to Notts.
It's from people the 'profile books' of people who attended SWs. I.e. all BBs and the other firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BruhBru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's from people the 'profile books' of people who attended SWs. I.e. all BBs and the other firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but what are SWs and BBs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (55)
13.82%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (53)
13.32%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (152)
38.19%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (42)
10.55%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (75)
18.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.28%

Watched Threads