The Student Room Group

English Literature with Foundation year (personal statement) : What do I write about?

I thought that the foundation year would mainly be studying skills that are to prepare you specifically for your chosen degree but I have discovered that the skills you learn are more broad than that. I want to study a foundation year next year to go on to study Englsih lit.

My question is: Am I only writing a personal statement to prove my ability/reasons why I want to study a foundation year AND acknowledge/show interest in the different things I would be studying in that year OR am I also writing about why I think I want to/ am capable of studying a degree in English lit. Because I imagine the latter would be a different personal statement altogether? One that I would write AFTER I've gained the skills required to study the degree (i.e after/during foundation year when applying for the degree).

Advice would be greatly appreciated! :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by zanwer
I thought that the foundation year would mainly be studying skills that are to prepare you specifically for your chosen degree but I have discovered that the skills you learn are more broad than that. I want to study a foundation year next year to go on to study Englsih lit.

My question is: Am I only writing a personal statement to prove my ability/reasons why I want to study a foundation year AND acknowledge/show interest in the different things I would be studying in that year OR am I also writing about why I think I want to/ am capable of studying a degree in English lit. Because I imagine the latter would be a different personal statement altogether? One that I would write AFTER I've gained the skills required to study the degree (i.e after/during foundation year when applying for the degree).

Advice would be greatly appreciated! :s-smilie:

The most important thing to remember is that you need to stay positive. When stating your reasons for wanting the course, don't imply that it's because you're too bad to go straight onto the degree. They don't want a sob story about how you got bad grades, or even why you chose the wrong subjects.

You mainly want to discuss why you want this course. You might choose to discuss your future plans, in that you're wanting the degree, but mainly you need to focus on now.
Ive been told to write the ps according to the degree u want to do...
I'm assuming you're doing the foundation year at the same university. So you would need to include reasons for choosing the foundation year AND talk about your suitability for the English degree as a whole

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending