The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShafTJB
If you have anything to ask, shoot away!

Remember how much I was defending Notts last year?

Got an offer to Warwick, this time round haha Guess I'll (hopefully) be joining you. :biggrin:

How's the social scene? How smart are the people there? How do you find the general 'vibe' of the place? Where do most people hang out? How attractive are the students?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by ShafTJB

Not sure what subject you got in for but do you know how management is at wbs?
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Remember how much I was defending Notts last year?

Got an offer to Warwick, this time round haha Guess I'll (hopefully) be joining you. :biggrin:

How's the social scene? How smart are the people there? How do you find the general 'vibe' of the place? Where do most people hang out? How attractive are the students?

First year here as well.

Social scene is pretty good to be honest. I was expecting it to be **** but it's actually quite good. The club on campus is good for freshers and for the first nights out but after that pretty much everyone goes to clubs in Leamington and Coventry.

Some people are really smart, while others are not or they just don't do the work. It's definitely a competitive environment.

The vibe is good. I come from a big city so I was expecting it to be quite dead but it's actually very lively. Campus is like a big bubble and everyone there is either a student or staff member which is good.

Talking about attractiveness, I'd say it depends on the department. The most attractive people are probably in WBS and Economics but it depends on your preferences haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gerrardcoutinho
Not sure what subject you got in for but do you know how management is at wbs?

I study management. Shoot me a pm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! You've made a good choice :biggrin:

Well, here's the breakdown. To start off with, I've loved every moment since I've been here!

How's the social scene?
Endless amounts of societies so there is always a bunch of people you end up befriending. Since all freshers are on campus, it's literally like one big house party- going to each others accommodations, finding out who's in what halls, having hall rivalry, hall competition. It is it's own bubble of a city of youth wanting to have fun! Then, off campus, you have Leamington, which is a beautiful place in itself to go out for dinner, peaceful town that's a tad buzzing and has got all the main stores there, 15-20 minutes bus ride, so it's great. The clubs are absolutely great too! (If you decide to go on their best day and if you go with uniexpress). Coventry is quite close by too, but it is a bit rank so I'd avoid it, Kasbah is the only club that's good about it.

How smart are the people there?
Bearing in mind it's a leading institute in the rankings, there's not much I need to say. My entire flat, everyone has 3A*s. It's so casual to meet someone with A*A*A*-A*A*A (if they're doing Maths, MORSE Physics, Economics, Chemistry, Data Science, Computer Science, EPAIS, etc) then those who have AAA-A*AA are doing Engineering, History, English, German Law, Politics, Management, Accounting, etc. It's then those who have AAB-ABB (quite rare) who do the arts such as Sociology, Languages. Furthermore, everyone is very strongly opinionated so the debates are highly intellectual. The average grade at Warwick is A*AA. There are also quite a few IVY league exchange students (3rd years) and Australian top 5 universities exchange students (Monash, Sydney, Melbourne etc) who also get involved with most events.

How do you find the general 'vibe' of the place?
We call it the Warwick Bubble, it's a wonderful place. Honestly, it's a home and everyone at Warwick pretty much finds their way into loving it for a specific reason. Mine being that everyone around me is intelligent and humble. It's a city of students and if you want to get out, you jump on the central bus and go have a normal day in Leamington.

Where do most people hang out? How attractive are the students?
First years: central campus, in each others halls, gym, Leamington
Second and Third years: usually just Leamington, they come to campus for the lunch hours, lectures and supervisions I guess.

Attractiveness: If you're into private school students, you'd love it at Warwick XD (They're lovely). It's not so diverse but the cultural societies do tend to attract all races, and everyone puts a lot of effort into that as well. WBS is full of the sexiest students. The mathematicians are hot, the physicists are weird- have the stereotypical geek look XD The art students are hot, the lawyers too. I'd say, 8/10.

Management and all WBS degrees are heavy. To be honest, during freshers week, all departments throw a lot of work at you- there's no break, the work load at Warwick is heavy from day 1.

Anything else? :smile:
Original post by ShafTJB
Hey! You've made a good choice :biggrin:

Well, here's the breakdown. To start off with, I've loved every moment since I've been here!

How's the social scene?
Endless amounts of societies so there is always a bunch of people you end up befriending. Since all freshers are on campus, it's literally like one big house party- going to each others accommodations, finding out who's in what halls, having hall rivalry, hall competition. It is it's own bubble of a city of youth wanting to have fun! Then, off campus, you have Leamington, which is a beautiful place in itself to go out for dinner, peaceful town that's a tad buzzing and has got all the main stores there, 15-20 minutes bus ride, so it's great. The clubs are absolutely great too! (If you decide to go on their best day and if you go with uniexpress). Coventry is quite close by too, but it is a bit rank so I'd avoid it, Kasbah is the only club that's good about it.

How smart are the people there?
Bearing in mind it's a leading institute in the rankings, there's not much I need to say. My entire flat, everyone has 3A*s. It's so casual to meet someone with A*A*A*-A*A*A (if they're doing Maths, MORSE Physics, Economics, Chemistry, Data Science, Computer Science, EPAIS, etc) then those who have AAA-A*AA are doing Engineering, History, English, German Law, Politics, Management, Accounting, etc. It's then those who have AAB-ABB (quite rare) who do the arts such as Sociology, Languages. Furthermore, everyone is very strongly opinionated so the debates are highly intellectual. The average grade at Warwick is A*AA. There are also quite a few IVY league exchange students (3rd years) and Australian top 5 universities exchange students (Monash, Sydney, Melbourne etc) who also get involved with most events.

How do you find the general 'vibe' of the place?
We call it the Warwick Bubble, it's a wonderful place. Honestly, it's a home and everyone at Warwick pretty much finds their way into loving it for a specific reason. Mine being that everyone around me is intelligent and humble. It's a city of students and if you want to get out, you jump on the central bus and go have a normal day in Leamington.

Where do most people hang out? How attractive are the students?
First years: central campus, in each others halls, gym, Leamington
Second and Third years: usually just Leamington, they come to campus for the lunch hours, lectures and supervisions I guess.

Attractiveness: If you're into private school students, you'd love it at Warwick XD (They're lovely). It's not so diverse but the cultural societies do tend to attract all races, and everyone puts a lot of effort into that as well. WBS is full of the sexiest students. The mathematicians are hot, the physicists are weird- have the stereotypical geek look XD The art students are hot, the lawyers too. I'd say, 8/10.

Management and all WBS degrees are heavy. To be honest, during freshers week, all departments throw a lot of work at you- there's no break, the work load at Warwick is heavy from day 1.

Anything else? :smile:

WOW, you made it sound amazing!!!

Thanks sooooo much for this man. I'll also keep note of the hottest departments, 'partner shopping' will be quite fun I imagine :wink:.

What is the mix of international to local students? How varied are friendship groups/halls? Best places to eat? How 'posh' are students on average? How is teaching carried out and in what way?

And, given you've been there a few months now, what are some of the highlights of your experience?

Nice to see that Data Science (the course I have an offer for) is repping on the grades front haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShafTJB
The mathematicians are hot, the physicists are weird- have the stereotypical geek look XD

So I look like a hot weird stereotypical geek. I'll take it as a compliment.
Original post by Princepieman
WOW, you made it sound amazing!!!

Thanks sooooo much for this man. I'll also keep note of the hottest departments, 'partner shopping' will be quite fun I imagine :wink:.

What is the mix of international to local students?
I'm not quite sure about this, I mean there are loads here, they're from everywhere so it's a complete mix- America, Asia, France etc. Not sure about the relativity to other unis so can't give you any stats, sorry.

How varied are friendship groups/halls?
Everyone is friends with one another when you go around different halls and kitchens. Again, since it's a campus uni, it's so fun when you always bump into someone you met at the club a few nights before.

Best places to eat?
Fusion is on campus, its like £5 per head for a main meal which is fab. Dirty Duck is pub grub- also on campus, Xananas, a bit more fancy, also very good! And now the WBS has opened a new cafe which has great food too! Other than that, it's all in Leamington- GBK, Nandos, Bill's (one opening at uni too), everything is in Leamington.

How 'posh' are students on average?
VERY! Well, nearly everyone I've met went to private/grammar schools, but no one is snobby. We're all oxbridge rejects usually, so you can tell what kind of people are at the uni. Majority of Warwick is full of Londoners too- so the vibe is always pumping since it's a uni full of city kids.

How is teaching carried out and in what way?
Well, we have endless tutorials seminars and labs, and on top we have supervisions- where you basically tackle really hard questions and topics and there are like 4/5 of you in that, doing loads of briefing sheets. It's quite heavy at Warwick, and the Data and computer scientists always have endless problems to solve, as do every scientist at Warwick.

And, given you've been there a few months now, what are some of the highlights of your experience?
Well, bad highlights are trying to keep up on top of work whilst clubbing. Good highlights? Everything is a good highlight, literally everything. There's obviously fall outs with people being bad, but that's just uni. Warwick is literally a bubble of smart, sweet, fantastic people- and the effort you put in to it will be the fun you get back.

Nice to see that Data Science (the course I have an offer for) is repping on the grades front haha.
It really is, the students are actually crazy. I think that the only course were the scientists aren't messed up in the head are the engineers XD ahahahaha

Overall, Warwick is really hard to get into, especially for data,so well done on getting the offer. Any more?

Sorry about the bad grammar and punctuation, I'm just replying as fast as I can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've tried to break it down but its not letting me post. I've quoted you but my answers come up in the blue box above this, so dont miss it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ShafTJB
I've tried to break it down but its not letting me post. I've quoted you but my answers come up in the blue box above this, so dont miss it!

Out of curiosity: you say that Warwick students, on average, are very posh. Does this translate to arrogance or ostracization of international students, especially if they come from a modest background? Would internationals from working class families, who have to fully provide from themselves, feel left out with all the middle-class and rich kids surrounding them?

Coming from Finland, where all education is state-funded and of high quality all around (irrespective of your family income, which is the main reason I have top grades as a poor working class family kid), I feel a bit nervous of joining a group of people who have never lived in relative poverty and might not understand that some parents cannot help their kids with their living expenses etc.

TL;DR: Are these "posh" people arrogant and/or alienated from reality thinking that everyone around them must be well-off?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ShafTJB

Do you know/are you friends with anyone who lives at home?
Hey,

I've got an unconditional offer to study engineering and business at warwick, got AAAB at A-level and taking further maths in my gap year too. You said most students have A*AA-AAA for engineering so do you think I'll struggle with workload even if I work really hard?

Also what course are you studying? I'm going to warwick as I maybe want to go into finance after my degree but not sure yet and no warwick has very good links with accountancy firms/investment banks.

Thanks man
Original post by Gimmel
Out of curiosity: you say that Warwick students, on average, are very posh. Does this translate to arrogance or ostracization of international students, especially if they come from a modest background? Would internationals from working class families, who have to fully provide from themselves, feel left out with all the middle-class and rich kids surrounding them?

Coming from Finland, where all education is state-funded and of high quality all around (irrespective of your family income, which is the main reason I have top grades as a poor working class family kid), I feel a bit nervous of joining a group of people who have never lived in relative poverty and might not understand that some parents cannot help their kids with their living expenses etc.

TL;DR: Are these "posh" people arrogant and/or alienated from reality thinking that everyone around them must be well-off?

No! By mean posh, I mean like, their accent is very Downtown Abbey :smile: But they're all so lovely, work extremely hard- everyone is like on big family there is hardly any arrogance and the internationals feel as loved as every other student. It's so accepting here! There are hardly any deluded people here :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Hey,

I've got an unconditional offer to study engineering and business at warwick, got AAAB at A-level and taking further maths in my gap year too. You said most students have A*AA-AAA for engineering so do you think I'll struggle with workload even if I work really hard?

Also what course are you studying? I'm going to warwick as I maybe want to go into finance after my degree but not sure yet and no warwick has very good links with accountancy firms/investment banks.

Thanks man

I'm studying Engineering. The workload is hard but I can't really say if the hardwork will pay off since I haven't taken any exams yet, but it would be strongly worth it since I'm really loving my degree right now. The labs are just the hardest/ longest things ever but I guess that's what we've all signed up for. You have to think, if you really want to go for unis such as Warwick, then you have to be prepared for the workload and its outcomes :smile: Yeah, so our course is tailored to every engineering route and also with business and economics on top- Warwick want their students to be money making business minded employers, so the engineering degree is literally tailored for all banks and tailored for you to make run your own firm as well. We are in the top 5 target universities for every single bank (alongside Oxbridge (deemed as 1), Imperial, UCL and LSE). I mean, I already have a paid internship ready for this easter at Merrill Lynch. Also, look at the LinkedIn rankings and look where Warwick lies in all of them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Economistician
Do you know/are you friends with anyone who lives at home?

About 2 people who have moved on campus for their first year, one of which is going to move back home in her second year to save money and the other is going to still stay out.

The other 4 people I know who are from Coventry, I don't really talk to so not sure what their plans are. :smile:
Do you think its possible to survive financially for 3 years at Warwick without getting a part time job?
Original post by ShafTJB
I'm studying Engineering. The workload is hard but I can't really say if the hardwork will pay off since I haven't taken any exams yet, but it would be strongly worth it since I'm really loving my degree right now. The labs are just the hardest/ longest things ever but I guess that's what we've all signed up for. You have to think, if you really want to go for unis such as Warwick, then you have to be prepared for the workload and its outcomes :smile: Yeah, so our course is tailored to every engineering route and also with business and economics on top- Warwick want their students to be money making business minded employers, so the engineering degree is literally tailored for all banks and tailored for you to make run your own firm as well. We are in the top 5 target universities for every single bank (alongside Oxbridge (deemed as 1), Imperial, UCL and LSE). I mean, I already have a paid internship ready for this easter at Merrill Lynch. Also, look at the LinkedIn rankings and look where Warwick lies in all of them.

Paid? Are you talking about an SW or an actual off-cycle spring internship?

I'm pretty sure BAML don't pay for their SWs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Foxab77
Looooool but you do engineering. It was on clearing this and last year haha. Probably the biggest fail course at warwick is engineering, with entry req of not even an A*. My friend got in with ABBC hahaha

B5BSVqH (1).png
I am thinking on doing econs in warwick next year, how quantitative are the modules?
Do you think i can possibly get in with ABB grades? I also have a predicted A grade for A level chinese, but I'm from Hong Kong.

Latest