The Student Room Group

I SERIOUSLY don't understand increasing/decreasing functions!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyxrose
functions1.jpg
Attachment not found

This might help you understand further :smile:

Original post by SeanFM
I'll leave to let Molly explain it so that you don't have two people saying things. :smile:

I see, thank you soo much to both of you!! :h:
Original post by Speckle
Both functions have increasing and decreasing sections. When it slopes upwards (positive gradient) it is increasing, when it slopes downwards (negative gradient) it is decreasing.

Your confusion is because the graphs you have shown are the graphs of the derivative - i.e the gradient. To make this clearer you should draw the graph of the original equation, to the same scale, and compare it to that of the gradient. You'll find that where the original graph slopes upwards, the gradient graph will be positive, and where the original graph slopes downwards, the gradient graph will be negative.

In the example you posted the original graph is: y = x^3 + 5x^2 - 8x +1, and the gradient graph is: y = 3x^2 + 10x -8

I see, thaanx for the clarification!! :h:
Reply 22
Original post by FluffyCherry
I see, thank you soo much to both of you!! :h:

This might seem slightly patronising - but I'm really just trying to help.

Do you want to test your understanding of increasing decreasing function by telling me for what values of xx is y=(x5)(x2)=x27x+10y = (x-5)(x-2) = x^2 - 7x + 10 is

1. yy increasing.
2. yy decreasing.

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
This might seem slightly patronising - but I'm really just trying to help.

Do you want to test your understanding of increasing decreasing function by telling me for what values of xx is y=(x5)(x2)=x27x+10y = (x-5)(x-2) = x^2 - 7x + 10 is

1. yy increasing.
2. yy decreasing.

Spoiler

Naah, that's totally fine, thaanx for helping!!
Okay, so here's my solution.
Reply 24
Naah, that's totally fine, thaanx for helping!!
Okay, so here's my solution.

Perfect! :smile:

Quick bit of trivia: the function is decreasing up to its minimum point, and then increases after it.

Can you see how the term 'stationary point' refers to the minimum point now? :wink:
Original post by Zacken
Perfect! :smile:

Quick bit of trivia: the function is decreasing up to its minimum point, and then increases after it.

Can you see how the term 'stationary point' refers to the minimum point now? :wink:

Yeep! Thaanx once again!:smile:
Reply 26
Yeep! Thaanx once again!:smile:

Don't mention it! :smile:

Love your profile picture, by the way. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest