The Student Room Group

Relationship with somone being tainted because they misintepret your posts

Let's say you've developed a close relationship online, and a mutual empathy, getting more, you don't want to ruin it. You can be different in another context, but it comes across as harsher or more offensive than you really are, and it was to set up a conversation, not literal, or it was an insult standing up for yourself, that might have you painted as a bigot when really it was just a way of hurting or getting to an indvidual who you can;t stand, but it may have the side affect that the person you care bout thinks you are a bigot or something. Or they might view you as not as nice as they thought. It's bothering me I may have tainted a relationship with someone via them seeing other online posts.

Scroll to see replies

You're being a bit general. I'd recommend talking to them about it, however honestly I don't fully understand. If you give us information more personal to you, we'll be able to help you better
" You can be different in another context, but it comes across as harsher or more offensive than you really are, and it was to set up a conversation, not literal, or it was an insult standing up for yourself, that might have you painted as a bigot when really it was just a way of hurting or getting to an indvidual who you can;t stand, but it may have the side affect that the person you care bout thinks you are a bigot or something"

Cor, blimey! What a mouthful!
Reply 3
Original post by georgiaswift
You're being a bit general. I'd recommend talking to them about it, however honestly I don't fully understand. If you give us information more personal to you, we'll be able to help you better

I don't really want to raise it with them because it might not be that, just haven;t spoken to them in a few days when we were. It makes me sound horrible and I'm not, It's just sometimes you can come across horrible to bite back against someone who is being demeaning. Let's say I toungne in cheek came off slightly more, a lot more right wing than I am to someone who is horrible, and happens to be ethnic, only to get to them personally.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really want to raise it with them because it might not be that, just haven;t spoken to them in a few days when we were. It makes me sound horrible and I'm not, It's just sometimes you can come across horrible to bite back against someone who is being demeaning. Let's say I toungne in cheek came off slightly more, a lot more right wing than I am to someone who is horrible, and happens to be ethnic, only to get to them personally.

So you used racist slurs to upset someone, basically? If you want to talk to them then just start a conversation. If they don't respond and you really don't want to bring up your comments, then there isn't anything else you can do
Reply 5
So you used racist slurs to upset someone, basically? If you want to talk to them then just start a conversation. If they don't respond and you really don't want to bring up your comments, then there isn't anything else you can do

It wasn't that severe. But yeah I will just wait. You might not like me for what I wrote there, but thanks for being so understanding as usual.
Reply 6
I also said something totally ironic about feminism, very mild this, but I am not anti-sane feminism.
Reply 7
Ohand don't know this is the case yet at all.
It wasn't that severe. But yeah I will just wait. You might not like me for what I wrote there, but thanks for being so understanding as usual.

Glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been then. And you're welcome :smile: But as you said, it may not even be to do with what you said. But if it is, it's up to you whether you want to discuss it with them or not. The issue is that even if they do forgive you, it may still be in the back of their mind.
Reply 9
Glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been then. And you're welcome :smile: But as you said, it may not even be to do with what you said. But if it is, it's up to you whether you want to discuss it with them or not. The issue is that even if they do forgive you, it may still be in the back of their mind.

Yeah, it's early days so I'm not sure. I might just be imagining it. Hope not because it's a valuable relationship to me.I posted to you before about your posts so you probably know who I am, I think.
It doesn't look too good. Damn, I am such an idiot, and I valued this person a lot.
Even though I identify as a feminist, if someone cares that much about some post you made on a website, it's time to cut them off for being total psycho.
I would say for future reference just block users that annoy you and don't respond to them :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
I would say for future reference just block users that annoy you and don't respond to them :smile:

What does that mean, did you make public something I said?
What does that mean, did you make public something I said?

No, I have no idea who you are or anything you have posted :redface:

But you said in your post that you said something to get back at someone, well... you don't need to do that :smile:
Man, I'm kicking myself hard, someone I cared about to, and I develop something valuable. I bet she thinks I'm a total dick now, worse a bigot.
Wow what a success, alienated someone who liked me, who may well falsely believe me to be a racist, homophobe and anti-feminist. This sucks.
Wow what a success, alienated someone who liked me, who may well falsely believe me to be a racist, homophobe and anti-feminist. This sucks.
Embrace the dark side of the internet.
Reply 18
This is why you think three times before pressing the send button on any social media not everybody will read it as you do. Sadly I've had to do this myself because you can easily offend even a good friend who may understand your humour and personality so think before you put anything online it's that simple. Not that it's ever happened with me but you get the idea.
Reply 19
Man, I'm kicking myself hard, someone I cared about to, and I develop something valuable. I bet she thinks I'm a total dick now, worse a bigot.

Do you really care about her? Because if you did like me you would have thought three times and not sent it. You would have thought hmm how would this make so and so think ? Is this how I want to depict myself? This you clearly didn't do.

You can always try and talk to her and if she's open to talking she may understand, it's always best just not to do such a thing in the first place though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending