The Student Room Group

Nurse asked me to strip to my underwear.. I'm creeped out help

I was being weighed by the nurse (who was female as am I but I was getting a really weird vibe off her) and she told me to strip to my underwear for it even though I was wearing really light clothes under my coat (a T shirt and skirt). She eventually said I could just take my skirt off but it was still weird because it was obviously a very light cotton skirt. :lolwut:

I have been to the same place before but saw a different nurse (wearing the exact same outfit) and she didn't ask me to do anything of the kind. Don't want to give too many details away in the unlikely chance she is on here but she did a few other things that were a bit weird as well, like make me stand still for 5 seconds and take a few plasters off when I was capable of doing it myself. There was another nurse in at times but I was VERY freaked out. Should I complain or something or is it normal to be asked to strip for a weighing?? :lolwut: I have literally NEVER been asked this before by anyone else

This isn't a troll thread I was just freaked out. Not an NHS place btw either. Still can someone help please? I am really not happy
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That is slightly bizarre ... perhaps call the reception to put in a complaint for feeling uncomfortable and being made to undress despite being hesitant to.
Was this just a check up or was this a private hospital?

I've had to do the same this even though it was a male doctor (with a nurse present for safety) examining my breasts. I didn't think about tbh
Reply 3
Original post by thecatwithnohat
That is slightly bizarre ... perhaps call the reception to put in a complaint for feeling uncomfortable and being made to undress despite being hesitant to.

The reception are pretty rude too TBH. I might see if I can complain to someone else. But I wanted to check if it was normal. I have been to that place before with a different nurse, and weighed at NHS places before too. Never been asked to strip to my underwear ever.

I was waiting in reception and one of the female receptionists was being bitchy about me quietly to the other one and saying how "posh" I thought I was (I was polite to her but they seem to have a weird mentality there). Not sure if I want to say where this is but yeah, not an NHS place unfortunately.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Was this just a check up or was this a private hospital?

I've had to do the same this even though it was a male doctor (with a nurse present for safety) examining my breasts. I didn't think about tbh

Private.

Oh I can understand being asked to take your clothes off if they have to examine your breasts (I mean its impossible otherwise I guess :dontknow:) Or removing my heavy coat and shoes before stepping on the scale. I just can't see why I would have to take off a tiny skirt just for a weighing. She sounded like she wanted me to take off my T shirt too. I was just getting a weird vibe off her.
if you feel that the nurses were unprofessional or worse you could report them to the Royal College of Nursing ?
Isn't it normal to remove most clothes when being weighed? Can any doctors or nurses confirm this?
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
if you feel that the nurses were unprofessional or worse you could report them to the Royal College of Nursing ?

I'm not sure if it's normal to be asked to do this for a weighing. I thought it was odd. Never been asked to do that before. Maybe a med student can comment here
Reply 8
Original post by chazwomaq
Isn't it normal to remove most clothes when being weighed? Can any doctors or nurses confirm this?

Yeah, I've been to the same place just a few weeks before though (granted, seeing a different nurse) in the same outfit coincidentally and the nurse let me keep my T shirt and skirt on. They obviously aren't that heavy. It was for the same appointment type too. Plus this time she made me stand still for 5 seconds while taking some plasters off (they were all over me) which seemed odd given that I had already removed some myself.

Would be great if one of the doctors or nurses on here could comment
As someone working in the medical field, if an accurate weight is needed, then stripping is necessary. Your clothes may not have been very heavy, but it just may have been the procedure of the hospital/practice. I wouldn't think there are any ulterior motives behind it, nurses have busy days and can get confused with minor protocols and common sense sometimes, especially if they're new to the job.

As far as taking off the plasters and getting you to stand still? That's the way to do it, we know you're probably capable of taking the plaster off, but to be sure we do it anyway - it's our job.

If she made you feel uncomfortable, it must've been her body language which I can't assess from your message, and to which I'd say that some nurses just are a bit weird with how they handle people. I'd like that to not be the case, but as long as they do a good job in the end, it's not serious.
Reply 10
Original post by Alaric III
As someone working in the medical field, if an accurate weight is needed, then stripping is necessary. Your clothes may not have been very heavy, but it just may have been the procedure of the hospital/practice. I wouldn't think there are any ulterior motives behind it, nurses have busy days and can get confused with minor protocols and common sense sometimes, especially if they're new to the job.

As far as taking off the plasters and getting you to stand still? That's the way to do it, we know you're probably capable of taking the plaster off, but to be sure we do it anyway - it's our job.

If she made you feel uncomfortable, it must've been her body language which I can't assess from your message, and to which I'd say that some nurses just are a bit weird with how they handle people. I'd like that to not be the case, but as long as they do a good job in the end, it's not serious.

Thanks, great reply. I would have assumed it was just the procedure there but like I said I did have the exact same thing done a few weeks before and the nurse (at the same place) then didn't ask for it? I'll just copy and paste if thats ok. Are you a nurse or a doctor out of curiosity?

I've been to the same place just a few weeks before though (granted, seeing a different nurse) in the same outfit coincidentally and the nurse let me keep my T shirt and skirt on. They obviously aren't that heavy. It was for the same appointment type too.
(edited 8 years ago)
imagine if she was lesbian and she secretly fancied you.
Reply 12
Original post by samina_ay
imagine if she was lesbian and she secretly fancied you.

TBF they don't check do they? So you could have male gay staff with male patients and female lesbian staff with female patients.. :dontknow:

I was getting really weird vibes though not gonna lie. And am good at telling when a guy fancies me TBH
Original post by SallyMae
Thanks, great reply. I would have assumed it was just the procedure there but like I said I did have the exact same thing done a few weeks before and the nurse (at the same place) then didn't ask for it? I'll just copy and paste if thats ok

You also can end up with an experienced nurse who doesn't care about minor protocols. Whatever the situation isn't worth reporting, the nurse did nothing wrong, even if you may have felt there were some strange vibes. If she'd touched you or said something unprofessionally/inappropriately then okay, but she'd probably just had a lot on her mind.
TBF they don't check do they? So you could have male gay staff with male patients and female lesbian staff with female patients.. :dontknow:

I was getting really weird vibes though not gonna lie. And am good at telling when a guy fancies me TBH

Strange, but if you felt really uncomfortable - report it. Nurses are there to make the patient feel comfortable etc - not the opposite o.O
Reply 15
You also can end up with an experienced nurse who doesn't care about minor protocols. Whatever the situation isn't worth reporting, the nurse did nothing wrong, even if you may have felt there were some strange vibes. If she'd touched you or said something unprofessionally/inappropriately then okay, but she'd probably just had a lot on her mind.

The nurse I had the other time seemed a lot younger, this one was clearly older/more experienced

Are you a nurse or a doctor btw? I thought you were on a gap year?
The nurse I had the other time seemed a lot younger, this one was clearly older/more experienced

Are you a nurse or a doctor btw? I thought you were on a gap year?

I'm working in a hospital in Germany, and my job means I do everything that nurses do (and learn everything on the job too) - just for less money. It's great experience if you do eventually want to become a doctor like I do.
Reply 17
I'm working in a hospital in Germany, and my job means I do everything that nurses do (and learn everything on the job too) - just for less money. It's great experience if you do eventually want to become a doctor like I do.

Oh, so in Germany you can practically become a nurse without a degree? I didn't know that.

I have a friend considering Nursing in the UK or abroad, I'll suggest it to her.
What were you being weighed for? Is it anorexia or something? Why did your need to take off plasters?
Reply 19
Original post by Little Popcorns
What were you being weighed for? Is it anorexia or something? Why did your need to take off plasters?

Oh, nothing like that lol. They did have to weigh me though.

Secondary infection and loads of pus filled blisters on my body :mad: combined with something else.

Do they usually ask you to do the same/are you in medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest