The Student Room Group

Interview tomorrow for a marketing company

So yes, I have an interview for a marketing company tomorrow.

Basically, at the moment I am doing a quick crash course in marketing, I have sales experience which is more my comfort zone and the role itself I'm interviewing for is a sales role, but because it's a marketing company I'd like to have a bit more knowledge of marketing itself.

I have so far looked up revisiting, which is serving ads to people that have visited your site and either not taken the desired action. So show them a different as... "why didn't you buy?" Etc. Or took an action and move them through the funnel. Upsell them a different product. Or they abandoned a cart. Show them what they missed etcOr exclude them altogether so you don't piss em off.This is generally the cheapest and easiest sell as they have been to the site already.

I will also mention how mobile search surpassed desktop search a year ago. So a lot of companies inc Google and FB are focusing on that. Plus that a lot of searches are cross device so there is a need for that too.Plus talk about how marketing has to be even quicker or have multiple touch points as attention span and a crowded market make it harder to get seen.

Hopefully this will be enough to show that I'm fairly clued up as to what the company does, though if there's anything I have missed or could add, then please let me know.
Bump
Reply 2
It is a bit difficult to help you with that without the knowledge of 1. What marketing services exactly does your company provide? (you should know everything they do anyway), 2. What clients does your company offer services to or do they specialize in anything (e.g. international or small companies, tech industry or pharma)?, 3. And especially.. what are your tasks on your job?. If you don´t do any strategic work really, they will rather want to find out what you bring for your job as a sales person (soft skills) rather than your marketing knowledge if you don´t work as a marketeer or product manager etc. It is good enough to show them you are interested in their company and business.
Original post by Lagona
It is a bit difficult to help you with that without the knowledge of 1. What marketing services exactly does your company provide? (you should know everything they do anyway), 2. What clients does your company offer services to or do they specialize in anything (e.g. international or small companies, tech industry or pharma)?, 3. And especially.. what are your tasks on your job?. If you don´t do any strategic work really, they will rather want to find out what you bring for your job as a sales person (soft skills) rather than your marketing knowledge if you don´t work as a marketeer or product manager etc. It is good enough to show them you are interested in their company and business.

It's a digital marketing company so search engines and things.

The thing is that this is a £20k job at entry level, and as someone with just GCSEs to his name, I feel as though I need to go beyond "I'm a decent sales person" because at the end of the day, I'm still quite inexperienced. Also, their marketers earn a lot more, and they are looking for someone who seeks to progress through the company. So this will also show that I'm forward thinking, I hope.
Reply 4
Original post by James Milibanter
It's a digital marketing company so search engines and things.

The thing is that this is a £20k job at entry level, and as someone with just GCSEs to his name, I feel as though I need to go beyond "I'm a decent sales person" because at the end of the day, I'm still quite inexperienced. Also, their marketers earn a lot more, and they are looking for someone who seeks to progress through the company. So this will also show that I'm forward thinking, I hope.

Okay, read about SEO, SEM in general, google ad words, google analytics, digital brand management and that kind of stuff. Show some interest in doing the google certifications if necessary. I mean come on, they cannot want you to have this knowledge already as an applicant for a 20k job. What they want to see is that you are interested in it.
Original post by Lagona
Okay, read about SEO, SEM in general, google ad words, google analytics, digital brand management and that kind of stuff. Show some interest in doing the google certifications if necessary. I mean come on, they cannot want you to have this knowledge already as an applicant for a 20k job. What they want to see is that you are interested in it.

Haha, £20k is a lot. I'm 18 btw.

I will do, the thing is, I know that I'm relatively inexperienced and I somewhat have an inkling that rather than give me the job straight out, they'll attempt to take me on as an apprentice (which means more work and less than half the pay).
Reply 6
Original post by James Milibanter
Haha, £20k is a lot. I'm 18 btw.

I will do, the thing is, I know that I'm relatively inexperienced and I somewhat have an inkling that rather than give me the job straight out, they'll attempt to take me on as an apprentice (which means more work and less than half the pay).

Okay, from your post I guessed you are a lot older. 20k is really good when you are just 18. Well, the truth is, if you really don´t have much experience you might rather cost them than being worth the money. So I think you should consider the option if they make you an apprenticeship offer. See it this way, you don´t have a professional qualification yet, that way you would have one after some years. You will never be able to get to a high position with just work experience. People want to see qualifications and degrees nowadays. Otherwise have a look around for other job offers as an alternative option.
Original post by Lagona
Okay, from your post I guessed you are a lot older. 20k is really good when you are just 18. Well, the truth is, if you really don´t have much experience you might rather cost them than being worth the money. So I think you should consider the option if they make you an apprenticeship offer. See it this way, you don´t have a professional qualification yet, that way you would have one after some years. You will never be able to get to a high position with just work experience. People want to see qualifications and degrees nowadays. Otherwise have a look around for other job offers as an alternative option.

I will take the apprenticeship offer don't worry, but obviously £20k is very enticing. They had my CV which has everything on it, and I got a call earlier from the company saying that it stood out and then they offered me an interview. This isn't the only thing I've applied for, there are a lot of possibilities for someone like myself in sales/marketing, even if it's at apprenticeship level.
The topics Lagona said to research on is great.
As well as knowing technical terms also show your commercial awareness about the industry in general.
Just make sure your enthusiasm and passion really shows.

If you don't get it however I would consider doing an apprenticeship, especially at a large organisation. You earn whilst you learn and many employers fund your qualifications even your degree.

It's good you're career focused at this age.
I would consider doing A Levels though as most organisations offering the above want GCSEs and A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending