The Student Room Group

Growth, teenage girls!

Hey guys!!
I've been wondering for a while if i will grow as I'm 5ft 2" and honestly hate hate hate being this height I want to be a lot taller as the rest of my family are all round 5ft 6" to 6ft 5" .
I'm only 16 and never had a growth spurt I have always been average in school and through the years I have only really grew a inch or so.
I have read a lot of "girls stop growing at 14" and then "girls can grow till 21" so I am very unsure and any info will be helpful!!!
My mum also has this book which she got when I was born which records the weight and height details until I'm 18 that books estimates I should be around 5ft 7 - 9" . My mum is 5 ft 6", dad is 5ft 9", sister is 5ft 8", brother 5ft 11".

Any info will be helpful!!!
Reply 1
Original post by ashpittawayx
Hey guys!!
I've been wondering for a while if i will grow as I'm 5ft 2" and honestly hate hate hate being this height I want to be a lot taller as the rest of my family are all round 5ft 6" to 6ft 5" .
I'm only 16 and never had a growth spurt I have always been average in school and through the years I have only really grew a inch or so.
I have read a lot of "girls stop growing at 14" and then "girls can grow till 21" so I am very unsure and any info will be helpful!!!
My mum also has this book which she got when I was born which records the weight and height details until I'm 18 that books estimates I should be around 5ft 7 - 9" . My mum is 5 ft 6", dad is 5ft 9", sister is 5ft 8", brother 5ft 11".

To be honest, with height you really have little to no power! You should embrace your height, not hate it! And if it's really that bad platforms/heels are great!
Original post by Slide
To be honest, with height you really have little to no power! You should embrace your height, not hate it! And if it's really that bad platforms/heels are great!

thank you x
I'm 17 and 5'6, I'm still hoping to grow some more too
5ft 2 is a nice height, try to be happy with it! You might grow a couple more inches but any more than that is very unlikely though.
I only gre an inch after the age of 13 haha
I'm 20 and I've been stuck at 5'0 since I was 14.:dontknow:
Original post by LiquidGold
5ft 2 is a nice height, try to be happy with it! You might grow a couple more inches but any more than that is very unlikely though.
I only gre an inch after the age of 13 haha

omg wow lol
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I'm 20 and I've been stuck at 5'0 since I was 14.:dontknow:

On the plus side at least you won't end up being lanky haha, I've gone from like 5"1 to 5"10 in two years. I'm unbelievably lanky atm at 16
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys!!

I feel your pain, I'm 5'5" and my brother is 6'4". <.<

And as for growth, it does depend on your genetics. My mum stopped growing at sixteen and I'm still growing just past my twentieth birthday. (Just about to overtake her mwahaha) Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is wait and watch and see how you develop, because all humans grow at different rates and genetics are evil like that.
at 14 I was 5ft 3
at 24 I'm 5ft 3
This does not help you though. Embrace it :h:
I bet that if you can improve your posture you could grow an inch. I say this because teenagers generally have poor posture and slouch.

While it's unlikely you will physically grow more than 1cm over the next couple of years, it depends on how far into puberty you are. If you were a late bloomer then you could grow a lot more over the next year or two! However if you were fairly average then you probably will have finished the part of puberty which makes you have growth spurts. :/

EDIT: I'm male, and was 5'7" by the time I was 12. However, I stopped growing when I was 16 and am about 5'7"-5'8" now (depends on who measures me...) so I sympathise as I am also shorter than a lot of my family. My brothers and dad are 6'+ and my older sister is 5'10", so I definitely feel like a shorty compared to them!
(edited 8 years ago)
Nah it's alright I'm about 5''5/5''6 moving on to almost 5''7 and still growing at 16. (Dunno why, I should be shorter than that)
Original post by Xysabridde
I feel your pain, I'm 5'5" and my brother is 6'4". <.<

And as for growth, it does depend on your genetics. My mum stopped growing at sixteen and I'm still growing just past my twentieth birthday. (Just about to overtake her mwahaha) Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is wait and watch and see how you develop, because all humans grow at different rates and genetics are evil like that.

ahaha thank you!!! 6ft 4 is big!!!!
Original post by suirrel
I bet that if you can improve your posture you could grow an inch. I say this because teenagers generally have poor posture and slouch.

While it's unlikely you will physically grow more than 1cm over the next couple of years, it depends on how far into puberty you are. If you were a late bloomer then you could grow a lot more over the next year or two! However if you were fairly average then you probably will have finished the part of puberty which makes you have growth spurts. :/

EDIT: I'm male, and was 5'7" by the time I was 12. However, I stopped growing when I was 16 and am about 5'7"-5'8" now (depends on who measures me...) so I sympathise as I am also shorter than a lot of my family. My brothers and dad are 6'+ and my older sister is 5'10", so I definitely feel like a shorty compared to them!

thank you, I didnt think like with the puberty and height, im still going through puberty now so maybe i do have a couple of years left!! and yeah my posture is ok not that good tho :P
Original post by DeceitfulDove
at 14 I was 5ft 3
at 24 I'm 5ft 3
This does not help you though. Embrace it :h:

lol thank you x
Original post by Friar Chris

You're only about one inch? :eek:
Reply 17
Hey guys!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Girls generally stop growing at 18 as their internal development stops and their hormones settle. You WILL have a growth spurt just before 18, but you will be 5'4" at best I reckon, which is pretty decent, just remember that posture can make you appear taller, shoulders back head up kinda thing
Hey guys!!

Look I am 15 and 5ft tall and weigh 9st. I have not had a growth spurt since I was 10. Everyone is different. Just love yourself no matter what! You will be fine!
Hi I’m 5”2 and 14. My parents r average height. Does anyone know what height i will be able to reach? Are there any tips for growing taller that have worked for you?

Quick Reply

Latest