Teacher training / SCITT

Watch this thread
jraffe
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, just looking for some advice from anyone who is currently on a teacher training course. I am about to apply for a SCITT course, which gives QTS and PGCE too. I'm just wondering how full on the course is, as I have two children too. I have just graduated with a first, so Im used to a lot of pressure and deadlines but apparently teacher training is a different level. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!
greenbeans123
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hi

I know perceptions differ, but it is an (almost) universally acknowledged fact that PGCE is incredibly full-on.

I trained on a course like yours last year (SCITT, QTS, PGCE) and I'd say out of the 40ish on the course:

4 dropped out
10 or so did well with the school/observations/placements side but found the PGCE/essay side a real struggle (some of them dropped the PGCE aspect and just got QTS).

10 or so thrived with the PGCE/essays side but had a rough time with at least one placement (mentors not being supportive, difficult school environment etc).

10 or so were actually fine most of the time but had odd stressed moments of a few days at a time ('pinch points' when there's a lot of pressure from both school/uni, health issues, problems with home/work balance etc).

6 or so (including me!) who struggled with pretty much every aspect, constantly wondered if they were on the right course, if they'd end up dropping out, difficult placements and essays...but somehow, against all expectations, managed to get through!

And there was a real mix on my course, people with 2.2, 2.1, first, MA, PhD, decades of experience in the job market, previous TA experience...yet we all had our bad moments. I don't have kids (mega respect to parents who make it through the course) and in fact moved back in with my parents so they could support me whilst I did the course (and thank god I did!). I'm not trying to put you (or anyone) off the course, just trying to express the reality as I saw it...it IS a struggle for a lot of people.

tldr - your academic experience (getting a first) may prepare you for ONE aspect of the course but as for the rest - it is likely to have at least some difficult points where you question what you are doing. So get all the school experience you can before applying to be sure of your decision.
dizzl
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Sorry to jump onto your thread but if you go the school direct/SCITT route do you get a QTS after completing the course or do you still have to do a second year for the QTS?
greenbeans123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I got QTS and PGCE as part of my 1 academic year SCITT course. (You could opt out of the PGCE part although this wasn't encouraged).

Those trainees under the 'School Direct' label in the same SCITT consortium were the same.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.58%
The paper was reasonable (194)
48.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.13%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.55%

Watched Threads