The Student Room Group

No idea what to do for future career despite having degree

Hi all,

I am soon to graduate with a degree in Digital Media (design), and I always had intended to go into the role of Graphic Designer. However, despite been creative minded still I seem to have grown tired of this idea, because it is just so competitive.

It's not that I can't be bothered, it's just I never really had thick skin, and although the I can take some criticism, every time I look at my fellow designer mates work I get really jealous, down and low. My work is good, but it's just that; very standard. I sometimes get great ideas come into my head, but my lack of confidence and drive is an issue.

I'm just no longer driven by competing, there is just so much competition. Despite how I feel, I am still looking for work in this field because this is what I'm qualified to do.

I don't seem to be getting anywhere , usually because of my lack of experience, or some other specific criteria; don't have enough ucas points, not the right degree, not the right GCSE profile (in the case of grad schemes).

I'm so jealous of people who have careers with up and coming expanding firms and are paid well as graduates, while I sit here with no real direction and getting rejected from even McDonalds.

Every sort of grad scheme lists specific degrees, even for marketing/design schemes they require a business related degree, as opposed to digital media or a design one. The BBC digital media scheme requires a computer science degree as opposed to "digital media".

Seems my degree isn't much cop for anything. My degree is digital based, but it is arts based and not scienc-y. I studied how to design for digital media, not code or delve in the Sciences. Something which employers want. Another thing is my numerical ability is rubbish, I have low GCSE score.

What can I do?

Ps: I'm looking very for grad schemes/work in Manchester also.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by royal1990
Hi all,

I am soon to graduate with a degree in Digital Media (design), and I always had intended to go into the role of Graphic Designer. However, despite been creative minded still I seem to have grown tired of this idea, because it is just so competitive.

It's not that I can't be bothered, it's just I never really had thick skin, and although the I can take some criticism, every time I look at my fellow designer mates work I get really jealous, down and low. My work is good, but it's just that; very standard. I sometimes get great ideas come into my head, but my lack of confidence and drive is an issue.

I'm just no longer driven by competing, there is just so much competition. Despite how I feel, I am still looking for work in this field because this is what I'm qualified to do.

I don't seem to be getting anywhere , usually because of my lack of experience, or some other specific criteria; don't have enough ucas points, not the right degree, not the right GCSE profile (in the case of grad schemes).

I'm so jealous of people who have careers with up and coming expanding firms and are paid well as graduates, while I sit here with no real direction and getting rejected from even McDonalds.

Every sort of grad scheme lists specific degrees, even for marketing/design schemes they require a business related degree, as opposed to digital media or a design one. The BBC digital media scheme requires a computer science degree as opposed to "digital media".

Seems my degree isn't much cop for anything. My degree is digital based, but it is arts based and not scienc-y. I studied how to design for digital media, not code or delve in the Sciences. Something which employers want. Another thing is my numerical ability is rubbish, I have low GCSE score.

What can I do?

Ps: I'm looking very for grad schemes/work in Manchester also.

Most schemes actually DON'T care (~70% don't require specific degrees) what you studied, so long as you have an interest in the actual area.

I'd recommend looking into freelancing at the moment. At least try to build up some form of tangible experience/reputation, it'll only help when it comes time for you to start looking into permanent jobs.

The other thing I'd recommend doing is to just practice your numerical stuff. It's not that hard, and can be achieved by doing everyday percentages, ratios, calculations in your head rather than relying on a calculator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is your work just mediocre compared to others though?

Sometimes, when I'm out with my mates having a meal and I order EXACTLY the same thing as someone else, theirs ALWAYS looks better and I want it... It's probably a similar case with you, just appreciate others work, take a bit of inspiration from it and maybe learn something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending