Emmanaomii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So im really confused on whether to do health and social btec at college next year, ive already done level 1 last year in secondary school and in january, i will be taking the exam for level 2, so i will be doing level 3 at college.

My only worries is what health and social could lead to - Im not really interested in working with children or elderly people, but i was wondering if it would be able to lead to working with people who have mental health issues?

As well as that, ive heard doing health and social is quite, looked down upon i guess, i had a rough time doing level 1 and 2 (work being lost and having art and maths teachers instead of qualified health and social teachers) which i think is also why im quite unsure on whether to apply for it
Harryjames97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emmanaomii)
So im really confused on whether to do health and social btec at college next year, ive already done level 1 last year in secondary school and in january, i will be taking the exam for level 2, so i will be doing level 3 at college.

My only worries is what health and social could lead to - Im not really interested in working with children or elderly people, but i was wondering if it would be able to lead to working with people who have mental health issues?

As well as that, ive heard doing health and social is quite, looked down upon i guess, i had a rough time doing level 1 and 2 (work being lost and having art and maths teachers instead of qualified health and social teachers) which i think is also why im quite unsure on whether to apply for it
I'm on a health and social care course and there are people who wish to work for the mental health services in the future, you'll have to look at the university's entry requirements.
Lottie97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just applied to do L3 Health and Social Care and wish to go into Mental Health nursing! It depends on what you want to do MH wise. If you wanted to be a support worker in MH they often don't really require many related qualifications. Normally with things like nursing anything care related so Health and Social Care, Childcare etc are usually good enough. But if you wanted to do more psycoligist based things then doing psychology would probably be better suited. It really does depend what you want to do. But I'd say go for it and can't see it being a disadvantage!
TheatreGirl1997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am currently doing the L3 H&SC course at college and it is a brilliant course and has taught me loads about different aspects of life and development etc. My friend who is doing the same course has applied for and gotten interviews for universities to study Mental Health Nursing. The only requirement for universities for courses like this tend to be work experience in a health and social care environment.
If i were you, i'd try a different college for your course as you will probably enjoy it more in a less stressful environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads