The Student Room Group

Would you abort your 'child' ?

Would you abort/want your partner to abort 'it' if doctors told you that the child would be born with down syndrome and was likely to have certain difficulties, but they were unsure what they would be.

Personally I would want my partner to not have the child. Quality and quantity of life for the unborn child is reason enough in my eyes. As well as the quality of life around the child with downsyndrome.

Heres the UK law.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I honestly would suggest to my partner that we abort it (entirely her choice though), It's not that I want a "perfect child" but to bring a kid into the world knowing it would have downs & learning difficulties is borderline cruelty from my perspective.
If it was quite early on in the pregnancy, then I'd abort yes. The later it gets I would have to think harder about it.
However if I had been trying to have a child for ages, then I would probably keep the baby regardless.
I'm pro-life but even I can put my views aside and let the woman abort they baby if she wants to as long its for medical reasons regarding her health or the baby's.
No, I couldn't abort. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
Honestly ppl say its wrong and stuff and I agree but only to an extent because knowing that my child will be born with a disadvantage and knowing the generation of the society we live in I couldn't let my child go through so much cruelty
Reply 6
hmmm
i think that even if it was a healthy baby - if I wasn't in the position to bring it into the world i.e. i could not afford to pay for it or raise it or I was just mentally not prepared and that could affect it then no, i wouldn't bring it into the world.
So that would apply to a baby with Down's too

I cant speak for the kid but I know that if I was going to be born with Down's i'd rather not be born tbh but if I had the money and time and was prepared for this and could provide the child with the love it needed then yeah why not give it a chance to live?
may end up like this:
http://www.lifenews.com/2014/11/10/9-successful-people-with-down-syndrome-who-prove-life-is-worth-living/
I've refused the Down's Syndrome test each and every time I've been pregnant, because I wouldn't abort either way so there was no point having it done. The test itself comes with a slightly increased risk of miscarriage, so there was no way I was going to take it unnecessarily.

So no, I wouldn't abort.
Original post by Reader106
No, I couldn't abort. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

:ditto:
Original post by SmellyProtein
Would you abort/want your partner to abort 'it' if doctors told you that the child would be born with down syndrome and was likely to have certain difficulties, but they were unsure what they would be.

Personally I would want my partner to not have the child. Quality and quantity of life for the unborn child is reason enough in my eyes. As well as the quality of life around the child with downsyndrome.

Heres the UK law.

Spoiler

If it was totally my decision then yes I would.
No i am pro-life
I would definitely abort.:redface:
Its a real grey area I think. I would feel morally wrong for taking another life so young that hasnt even started but going through the abortion may be seen as more merciful if the childs quality of life would be very low. Tough call and I wouldn't know how to answer
I would abort. I wouldn't even feel bad about it.
Only if it was a severe case, otherwise no because we are talking about little life, not some toy that you can easily throw around :erm:
Original post by ForgetMe
We are talking about little life, not some toy that you can easily throw around :erm:

Yes you can.

Take it to a care home and leave it there.
I'd abort because I have neither the desire nor am in any way near the right place in my life to have children, disability or not.
Original post by ForgetMe
Only if it was a severe case, otherwise no because we are talking about little life, not some toy that you can easily throw around :erm:

When does an egg and sperm become a life though? and a life equal to that of a newborn baby for example.
Original post by StatingDaObvious
Yes you can.

Take it to a care home and leave it there.

If I was sensitive to jokes I would be really mad now
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:ditto:

You know how some people say they would have an abortion, I doubt 99% would actually abort. It takes a lot of emotional and mental willpower. I don't think I could trust someone who had an abortion as a friend, if they could abort a life imagine what they're capable of! I'm all for individual freedom and choice but that's a potential life. If you're not ready for a baby, in most crcumstances where there is full consent, then you shouldn't be having sexual relations if you're not going to be safe about it. It takes two to make a baby and some people want to act like adults but don't want the adult responsibilities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending