Harryjames97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

Very quick question here, does a distinction count as two merits in a level 3 course. For example if I miss out on one merit in a certain unit but get a distinction would I get a distinction overall for this unit?
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe that overall grades are based on a points system. So if you got P1, P2, P3, P4, M1, M2 in assignment 1, it would mean X points, and if you got P5, P6, P7, P8, M3, M4, D1 in the 2nd assignment, it would mean Y points, and your overall grade would depend on what X+Y came to.
bamtutor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not quite. To achieve a Distinction in one unit, you must get ALL passes, ALL merits and ALL distinctions. If you only Pass a unit you get 70 points, a merit is 80 and a distinction is 90 points. Your overall grade is calculated by adding up all of the points. Are you studying a 6, 9, 12 or 18 unit BTEC?
More information can be found at; http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...ding-notes.pdf

This is for business, but points are the same for all level 3.
dipka
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Harryjames97)
Hi,
(Original post by Harryjames97)
Very quick question here, does a distinction count as two merits in a level 3 course. For example if I miss out on one merit in a certain unit but get a distinction would I get a distinction overall for this unit?

No. you need to get all of the criteria to get that level. So to get pass you must get all the pass criteria. You don't get merit overall until you get ALL the merits. If you miss 1 as you asked you would only get a pass for that unit overall. This is the same regardless of how many distinctions you get.

The overall course grade is different and is worked out on points from each unitas the person above explained. you can't really say distinction counts as 2 merits because 2 merits is 160 points whereas 1 distinction is 90 points. So not that close. However the 10 points difference between merit and distinction makes a bigdifference in your overall grade because of how the grade boundaries are.

However BTEC is great in that you can work out all your grades in advancedonce you get to understand the system, you then just need to do whatever you worked out. So you can save yourself work in the hard units and get Passes in them so long as you get some units at distinction you can get a good grade. Just don't completely do this. If there's some easy merits do them. Because you don't want the last assessment in a unit you want distinction in to be really hard and you only get a pass then that whole unit is suddenly only a pass. So you always need a plan 2 which is basically do whatever you can anyway rather than rely on working it out. It also then means you could end up doing better than you planned.
Hope this helps. And if you ask anything else in here and wantme to reply please quote me because I don't look in here that often.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (184)
58.79%
I don't have everything I need (129)
41.21%

Watched Threads