The Student Room Group

Advice anyone?

Hey, Im 18 and a student doing 2 diplomas, im wanting to move out of my parents house, I have tried looking for jobs but having no luck in getting interviews, im also an A* student. I don't know what to do, any help will be great.

Thank You
Reply 1
Original post by nerd_gamer1
Hey, Im 18 and a student doing 2 diplomas, im wanting to move out of my parents house, I have tried looking for jobs but having no luck in getting interviews, im also an A* student. I don't know what to do, any help will be great.

Thank You

You can't really just move out unless you've got a steady income to pay rent and bills, and a means of paying for the deposit. What are your diplomas in? What sort of work have you been looking for? Are you looking for work relevant to those diplomas?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pride
You can't really just move out unless you've got a steady income to pay rent and bills, and a means of paying for the deposit. What are your diplomas in? What sort of work have you been looking for? Are you looking for work relevant to those diplomas?

Games design and ICT, I am looking for any job relating to ICT mainly but any job for now will be good, just so I can save up
Unfortunately it's doubtful you'll be able to move out for quite some time.
There are a lot of things you will need to consider and save for when moving out. Off the top of my head you need to consider / save for:

-A deposit. This usually about 2 months rent.

-Whether the flat or house you move into will be furnished, part furnished or fully furnished. What furnishing it has will massively depend on whether you need to spend £100 or several thousands of pounds. For example not every flat will come with a fridge, a washing machine of a cooker.

-Whether you will be living alone or sharing. Sharing is often cheaper, but it comes with the disadvantage of having to trust the other person will pay their share of rent and bills. And these will usually be joint contracts rather than separate contracts, so if they don't pay it falls on you to pay.

-Where you'll be living. Renting prices vary massively depending on area. So research now how much average rent is for the kind of place you're looking for (flat, house, number of beds etc) and see how much it'll cost per year.

-Council tax. If you're in part time education as opposed to full time you still have to pay council tax. How much this is varies by council so look to see how much it is in your area. Also if you're sharing the house then it doesn't matter if you are a student if the other person is not, council tax will still apply to the property.

-Bills. You'll need to factor in how much every bill will cost so : water, gas, electric, broadband, TV license etc

-Transport. How will you get to and from college? Will you need to get a train or a bus? Or is it in walking distance? Find out how much this will cost you annually and whether there are bus or train passes you can get which will save you money.

-Food. Do you know how to cook properly or how to do a proper weekly or two weekly shop? Do you know how much this will cost you? This varies a lot per person, but I've noticed people who don't know how to shop or cook properly or plan meals in advance spend a heck of a lot more money on food. Which over the course of year can be a lot of money

-Employment and steady income. It is advised you have at least 3-6 months worth or saving to cover: rent, food, bills and transport before you even think about moving out. This is because if you lose your job or get paid late not every landlord will be so forgiving, and bill companies tend not to care about your situation. And the last thing you want is the bailiffs at your door and a terrible credit history that will affect you for years. Since you're a student I advise you to have at least 1 years worth of expenses in savings, as the kind of jobs you'll be able to get currently will not be stable and will likely pay poorly. Also will you be working full time or part time? As you simply will not be able to afford to support yourself on part time work.

-How old are you? You say you are doing 2 diplomas which makes me think you're around 16-18 years of age and in college. Generally landlord won't rent to people under the age of 18 because they are more if a risk and not likely to have steady income.

Looking at all that information figure out a yearly budget a long with a realistic look at what your kind of income will be and make a plan from there.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending