Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you have a religion and you are really devoted to it, you have to believe its teachings 100%. So, there is no room for doubt.

For instance, if you're a Christian or a Muslim, conceding that it is possible God does not exist, ie doubting His existence, would be blasphemous.

Given you have to take the teachings of your religion to be absolutely true, how can you tolerate different teachings? If they contradict your own teachings, you have to believe they are 100% wrong, as yours are 100% true.

So, apart from a "live and let live" tolerance, it is impossible for you to really tolerate the other. Since you are sure that you are right, you are sure the other guy is wrong, and therefore, you are superior to him. You cannot really respect his beliefs, as you know they are wrong. If they contradict yours, they may even constitue a sin and therefore you have to look down on the other guy. If you are persuaded the other guy is not your equal, can you still be truly tolerant?

What if you're religion tells you you have to spread your faith? Can you then still tolerate the other guy, who won't embrace your beliefs? After all, if you are to be truly devoted to the teachings of your religion, if they tell you to spread your religion, it is your duty to act in a way that will influence the other guy. Your aim has to be for him to turn his back on his own - false - teachings. Is that still tolerance?

Religious beliefs are not just opinions. When you support a political party, you can't say you're absolutely sure it is the right choice, there is always room for doubt. You are at all times conscious on the fact that you may be wrong in your assessment that your party is indeed the best choice for good government.

However, religions require more than opinions, they require absolute beliefs. Doubt is impossible, it is intolerable so to speak. How is tolerance possible without the acceptance of doubt?

N.B. tolerance - The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.
    (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tolerance)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    If you have a religion and you are really devoted to it, you have to believe its teachings 100%. So, there is no room for doubt.

For instance, if you're a Christian or a Muslim, conceding that it is possible God does not exist, ie doubting His existence, would be blasphemous.

Given you have to take the teachings of your religion to be absolutely true, how can you tolerate different teachings? If they contradict your own teachings, you have to believe they are 100% wrong, as yours are 100% true.

So, apart from a "live and let live" tolerance, it is impossible for you to really tolerate the other. Since you are sure that you are right, you are sure the other guy is wrong, and therefore, you are superior to him. You cannot really respect his beliefs, as you know they are wrong. If they contradict yours, they may even constitue a sin and therefore you have to look down on the other guy. If you are persuaded the other guy is not your equal, can you still be truly tolerant?

What if you're religion tells you you have to spread your faith? Can you then still tolerate the other guy, who won't embrace your beliefs? After all, if you are to be truly devoted to the teachings of your religion, if they tell you to spread your religion, it is your duty to act in a way that will influence the other guy. Your aim has to be for him to turn his back on his own - false - teachings. Is that still tolerance?

Religious beliefs are not just opinions. When you support a political party, you can't say you're absolutely sure it is the right choice, there is always room for doubt. You are at all times conscious on the fact that you may be wrong in your assessment that your party is indeed the best choice for good government.

However, religions require more than opinions, they require absolute beliefs. Doubt is impossible, it is intolerable so to speak. How is tolerance possible without the acceptance of doubt?

N.B. tolerance - The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.
    Those are the flaws of religious beliefs. Ideally, in my opinion, there would be no religion, only universal Ideologies. Here's wishful thinking, eh?

ReputationRep:

I suppose with some religions tollerance isn't posible but that is not true with all religions only the main 3 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I suppose with some religions tollerance isn't posible but that is not true with all religions only the main 3 I think.
    Which religions allow for the tolerance and why?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about religions but i THINK that hindus and buddhists are generally tolerant of all other religions. i have a couple of hindu mates and they say that they believe that all religions are just different paths to god.

ReputationRep:
    Which religions allow for the tolerance and why?
    Paganism believes that all religious beliefs are equally valid because everyone is worshiping the same greater being anyway. They don't go out and try and convert people. They feel that anyone who leads a good life will go to hell regardless of beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krow1209)
    I don't know much about religions but i THINK that hindus and buddhists are generally tolerant of all other religions. i have a couple of hindu mates and they say that they believe that all religions are just different paths to god.
    I also know Christians who say that all religions are just different paths to God. But, even in the case of Hindus/Buddhists, is that not inconsistant with thier religious teachings?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't buddhism more a philosophy than a religion? As far as I know I don't think they worship a God like other religions.

ReputationRep:
    Paganism believes that all religious beliefs are equally valid because everyone is worshiping the same greater being anyway. They don't go out and try and convert people. They feel that anyone who leads a good life will go to hell regardless of beliefs.
    What is Pagan's attitude towards agnostics or atheists then? Can a Pagan be tolerant towards someone who doubts or denies the very existence of that greater being?

ReputationRep:
    What is Pagan's attitude towards agnostics or atheists then? Can a Pagan be tolerant towards someone who doubts or denies the very existence of that greater being?
    Yes as long as they lead a good life.

ReputationRep:
    You can still accept the beliefs of other people without doubting your own. Acceptance of something doesn't necessarily mean the abandonment of something else.

[109:1-6] Say: O disbelievers! I worship not that which ye worship; Nor worship ye that which I worship. And I shall not worship that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me mine.

In other words, to each his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoni)
    Those are the flaws of religious beliefs. Ideally, in my opinion, there would be no religion, only universal Ideologies. Here's wishful thinking, eh?

wow you have just put into words what i have been trying to work out in my head for years!!! thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    wow you have just put into words what i have been trying to work out in my head for years!!! thankyou!!
    you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    I think it is. I think more the part is I have an enormous amount of respect in people who can really have the courage to believe what they want to even if they are being oppressed. So, I think religious tolerance is more a respect of people and their culture.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone goes through a crisis of faith at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Given the record of hindus in India- google Gujarat and massacre- there isn't much evidence there. Certainly, hindus are quite remarkably intolerant of hindus from the wrong castes.
    Buddhists may be theoretically tolerant, but in sri Lanka and Burma buddhist beliefs don't seem to have done much for practical human kindness. It could be that this comes from accreted superstitions- but what is a religion but superstition with a priesthood organising it?
    The important thing about Abrahamic religions is that the next world is more important than this. This life is a brief test and the rewards we get for our performance here will determine our future. There may be prizes for trying for people who follow the wrong- or deformed- religions, but most people will lose and go to hell for ever. Given how short this life is and how long eternity, then just about everything you do to someone here is trivial and if it gets them to the right religion so they go to heaven, it is all to the good.
    Hinduism is a little different I'm told- if you are born in a lower caste it's punishment for your sins in previous life. You can harm the future of people in higher castes as well by polluting them and if someone in a higher caste treats a lower caste person kindly then they are interfering with divine providence and punishment.

ReputationRep:

Then if we have doubt in the equation, then we can also doubt the existance of God and that would nullify all monotheistic beliefs. Doubt in religion gives way for sectarian differences and that is why you have baptist, methodist, catholic, protestant, lutheran etc. Same goes for Judism.

However you will find that most orthodox religious schools can not exist when you have doubt. If you doubt this, well the next will doubt something else and sooner or later it will all collapse.

Personally I prefer logic behind things but I often find with the major religions that they are governed by socalled experts who deliberately withhold information if it for instance gives a group rights they were unaware of. You don't doubt priests although in light of recent paedophile and homosexual scandals in the catholic church, there is more than enough to go on. The story of Lot is to be found in the bible and it clearly forbids these actions.

Tolorance can exist without comprimising your faith whatever that may be. I have not seen any faith apart from the rastafarian, which preaches hate or intolorance. On the contrary there is talk of loving your neighbours and being a good person. However, with the increasing dominance of these men (militants, fundamentalists etc) you find that the true mesage of these faiths are distorted. Many people go to extremes and through that they limit their ability to coexist which is why I believe one should reject extremeism. Some would probably claim then in doing so, you can not be a true believer. Fair enough. Thats your opinion. But hating, disputing and fighting is being a true believer?

Examples include, christians in africa. They are constantly attacked by muslim groups. Why? because islam calls them disbelievers. Oh really. Then why are muslims allowed to marry jews and christians?

You see christians fighting christians in Ireland. Why? Oh Don't even get me started. Can't you people just agree to disagree and move on. Surely you have more in common.

I think intolorance comes through certain groups extreme beliefs in that they are better because they believe. They are so much better that they should not associate others who are not like them. Then why do you come to and live in non believing countries? Hypocracy.

Like I mentioned elsewhere - my landlord is extremely anti semitic and that pisses me off. He lives in the UK and yet thinks he is better than everybody else. Jews, muslims, christians you come from the same and have pretty much the same book. So get along! Enough with the fighting already. You don't have to be best friends just get along.

But thanks to extremism and politicians we can kiss any hope of peaceful coexistance goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    Some religion people teach, liberate protestants for example, that all religions are essentially the same but just follow a different way of worshiping.
    A similar argument could be used to say that all religious people must try to convert others as Jesus said love thy neighbour and if you love you neighbour you must want them to go to heaven with you but other religious people say that God is forgiving and will accept people of all faiths because his love is great and as Jesus said "In my father's house there are many rooms"

Tollerance of other religions is taught in most religions a Muslim persian poet wrote "The lamps are different but the light is the same" meaning that people worship the same God in different ways.

There are many different opinions on this within different religions and everyone will hold different views.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, we pagans believe that when you die, everyone goes to the Summerland - but my own personal belief in what the Summerland is, you get what you thought you were going to get. (Interestingly, after reading "Mort" by Terry Pratchett (another pagan), I found out that his belief on that matter matched my own.)

Within the religious tolerance issue - as laid down by pagan gatherings in this country and America, we tolerate any and all religions, the only exception being, we do not accept that some religions try to convert us. That is our only issue with Christianity and Islam, etc. We do not believe we are the only right religion, nor do we believe that others should be forced to believe what we believe. Hence, our religion grows by people finding it themselves.

With regards to Agnosticism and Atheism - I have friends who are Agnostic and Atheist. The problem comes not with their beliefs - but when THEY are not tolerant of MY beliefs. I will not bring up the topic, but occasionally conversation drifts into religion, and if an atheist starts trying to disprove my religion I am most likely to either get up and leave, (or if I'm feeling argumentative/fed up/irritated I might join in).
    In actual fact, one of my atheist friends has told me that my religion, of all of them, hits the nail on the head better than any of the others because of it's loose-endedness.

Anyway hope that clears up stuff about Paganism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowStorm)
    Within the religious tolerance issue - as laid down by pagan gatherings in this country and America, we tolerate any and all religions, the only exception being, we do not accept that some religions try to convert us. That is our only issue with Christianity and Islam, etc. We do not believe we are the only right religion, nor do we believe that others should be forced to believe what we believe. Hence, our religion grows by people finding it themselves.
    Well I hate to break this to you but Christianity or Islam does not state you should force people to believe. Although many of their believers will have you think so.

This is one quote I did find which you can throw back at any muslim who wishes to make you believe:

Chapter 2 Verse 256 Let there be no compulsion in religion: (..)

I always like using this. Quite a good method of silencing people.

The teaching of Jesus in the bible equate this.

Book of John 14:1-6
    "There are many rooms in my Father’s home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly"

Nowhere in the bible does it say you have to force somebody. Next time somebody forces you ask them where they find the authority to do so. I hope we are not talking about Jehovas witnesses here.

This concept of making everybody hold the same belief as you is just down to ignorance of their faith. We are all different so let us stay different.

If you must, then dislike the followers not the faith. Christianity or Islam do not preach what many of their followers do. People just screw things up and make it reflect badly on their faith. I hope you realize this.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.