Choosing A University Help - Computer Science

Watch this thread
Jack7771
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm planning on going to university next year and I will be 19 at the time. I am planning on studying computer science and was wondering if it makes a major difference to the degree you receive depending on what university you attend from an employers perspective.

I don't have fantastic grades and I will list my choices below. I currently have DDD in a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (360 UCAS points) and 7 or so GCSE's ranging from C-A.

My university choices so far can be viewed below..

1: Birmingham City University (75th) - [292+ UCAS]
2: Swansea (23rd) - [325+ UCAS]
3: Aston (34th) - [362+ UCAS]
4: Reading (36th) - [340+ UCAS]
5: Bournemouth (46th) - [327+ UCAS]

[] = average UCAS offer accepted.
() = ranking against all UK universities for computer science.

I'm really not sure what university to choose and I have been told that if I wanted to go to Aston I would have to do the foundation year which would mean an extra year for the same degree. I was wondering would it be worth it, would it be a major help in employability?

I like the look of Birmingham City University but it's ranked pretty low I went to the open day and it seemed pretty decent. Do you think it would be a bad idea to go to Birmingham City University with my current grades?

Will a degree from Birmingham City be viewed poorly by employers say compared to a degree from Aston or Swansea universities? And why are some of the lower ranking universities asking for more UCAS points compared with higher ranking universities for example Swansea requires less than Aston? Is this due to the reputation and history of the universities? Nothing to do with the actual degree?

Not sure if this is the correct location for this thread but I didn't notice a university choice forum option.

Edit: I am also planning on doing a sandwich year to either go abroad or work in industry if this makes a difference. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good advice and if you'd recommend other universities please tell me why? Distance is not really an issue as long as the university is within the UK.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jack7771)
Hi, I'm planning on going to university next year and I will be 19 at the time. I am planning on studying computer science and was wondering if it makes a major difference to the degree you receive depending on what university you attend from an employers perspective.

I don't have fantastic grades and I will list my choices below. I currently have DDD in a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (360 UCAS points) and 7 or so GCSE's ranging from C-A.

I'm really not sure what university to choose and I have been told that if I wanted to go to Aston I would have to do the foundation year which would mean an extra year for the same degree. I was wondering would it be worth it, would it be a major help in employability?

I like the look of Birmingham City University but it's ranked pretty low I went to the open day and it seemed pretty decent. Do you think it would be a bad idea to go to Birmingham City University with my current grades?

Will a degree from Birmingham City be viewed poorly by employers say compared to a degree from Aston or Swansea universities? And why are some of the lower ranking universities asking for more UCAS points compared with higher ranking universities for example Swansea requires less than Aston? Is this due to the reputation and history of the universities? Nothing to do with the actual degree?

Not sure if this is the correct location for this thread but I didn't notice a university choice forum option.

Edit: I am also planning on doing a sandwich year to either go abroad or work in industry if this makes a difference. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good advice and if you'd recommend other universities please tell me why? Distance is not really an issue as long as the university is within the UK.
It's NOT the average offer man. That's what people end up ACHIEVING on results day.

The offer should be on the universities' website, it'll be in terms of your BTEC grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jontyfernz
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Rankings mean nothing.However from your list swansea ,Aston and Reading are pretty good in terms of modules.A sandwich year is a good choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
TVIO
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jontyfernz)
Rankings mean nothing.However from your list swansea ,Aston and Reading are pretty good in terms of modules.A sandwich year is a good choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd disagree that rankings mean nothing, generally there's a weak correlation between rankings and earnings afterwards. Though the difference between say 10th and 20th probably isn't much, but the difference between 100th and 1st would be.
jontyfernz
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TVIO)
I'd disagree that rankings mean nothing, generally there's a weak correlation between rankings and earnings afterwards. Though the difference between say 10th and 20th probably isn't much, but the difference between 100th and 1st would be.
That is correct actually. 1st and 100th have a lot of differences but When institutions like KCL,and QMUL are ranked low,you know that the rankings are a sham
popus
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
so qmul is a decent option?
username738914
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by popus)
so qmul is a decent option?
Yes, it's 'decent'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
aston and swansea are the best out of the five you've applied to.
Jack7771
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ey, thanks for the replies but could someone give me any advice on the foundation year option for Aston? Worth the extra year or not? If I went to Aston it would be 5 years total as I would still want to do the sandwich or would be a better option to drop the sandwich year for the foundation year? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Ey, thanks for the replies but could someone give me any advice on the foundation year option for Aston? Worth the extra year or not? If I went to Aston it would be 5 years total as I would still want to do the sandwich or would be a better option to drop the sandwich year for the foundation year? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  3.3 KB

I understand five years might seem like a lengthy undertaking, but honestly you'll enjoy every second of it. I would make sure you take our inbuilt placement year, it's invaluable in the graduate market place to have a years experience at an established company.

During my time as an undergraduate here a number of my friends doing Computing Sciences and Electronic Engineering courses went on to do placements with companies such as Microsoft, IBM and Virgin media.

If you have any questions, i'm a 2014 graduate, now working for the university. I should be able to assist with the majority of things.

Josh
GodAtum
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You should consider Surrey Uni, a great course with 1 year industry placement.
TrojanH
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Can't you get into places like Notts and Newcastle wth DDD?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads