The Student Room Group

Can I apply to university without UCAS?

This isn't reallt a reply, more of a query.

I'm 17 and I should be applying for University this year however, I am not in the right mind set nor the financial capacity to apply to university. I am wondering if I decided to have a gap year/ year off to look after my mother who is ill, how would I apply to University?
Original post by JPonder

I'm 17 and I should be applying for University this year however, I am not in the right mind set nor the financial capacity to apply to university. I am wondering if I decided to have a gap year/ year off to look after my mother who is ill, how would I apply to University?

You can either apply now for deferred entry in 2017, or next year after you receive your A-level results. It's up to you.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
You can either apply now for deferred entry in 2017, or next year after you receive your A-level results. It's up to you.

Would I still have to use the online UCAS application system, I am struggling to use this if I am honest, and at my college we have Guidance and Support Tutors and being completely honest, the only thing she's guiding me to do is leave college. She has told me to write one thing into my personal statement and then turned around and told me that it would make me seem like I have too many responsibilities' to even go to University. I am so confused and really have no idea what I am even doing. My GST wants our UCAS applications by next week! I don't even know if I am off to Uni, or what I could be studying. Please Help Me and give me an answer that is related to my query.

:frown:
Original post by JPonder
Would I still have to use the online UCAS application system, I am struggling to use this if I am honest, and at my college we have Guidance and Support Tutors and being completely honest, the only thing she's guiding me to do is leave college. She has told me to write one thing into my personal statement and then turned around and told me that it would make me seem like I have too many responsibilities' to even go to University. I am so confused and really have no idea what I am even doing. My GST wants our UCAS applications by next week! I don't even know if I am off to Uni, or what I could be studying. Please Help Me and give me an answer that is related to my query.

:frown:

Don't even think of going to university by putting in an application next week when you don't even know what you want to do. That is only going to bring misery and debt.

Explain your situation to your college and say you won't be applying this year because of your mother, but that as long as things have improved by next year, you wold like to apply then, through them if possible. Most colleges will process your application if you have only been gone a year, but if they won't, you can apply as an individual. It is all fully explained on the Ucas website, but if you find you can't work your way through it whe the time comes, there is plenty of help available on here, so come and look at the stickies and articles, or ask a specific question on here.

Right now, you are in no state to apply as far as I can see, and there is no disadvantage at all in waiting until you are ready. You just need to explain this to your college as you have done here.
This ^
This is excellent advice. Also you can apply late if you wish. You don't have to get your application in by Jan. That is only the date the unis have to give equal consideration. In practice most have spare places in clearing so if you did decide to make a late application you could do so but your choice of universities may be more limited
Original post by JPonder

CLR is spot on above about not rushing to university before you're ready.

If you do take a year out to care for your mum then I would strongly recommend making sure you're using all the support available to you as a carer (and that you contact your local council to get a carers assessment - trust me these take forever to sort out but the results can be well worthwhile if only for the security of knowing there is a record of what you do for your mum so if something happens she won't be forgotten). http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice Is a decent place to start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending