The Student Room Group

Need some serious, brutal advice about my working hours please

Hiya! I'm quite stuck right now, and if you could spare 5 minutes I could SERIOUSLY do with some advise! I'm not looking for what I want to hear, I want to straight up know what I need to be doing in my case, thanks so much :smile:
(Sorry this is a bit lengthy and as if I'm asking a lot in a rude way by the way! I don't mean it to be! D: )

Basically, I'm in year 12, taking Maths, Physics, Biology and Design Tech for AS, I will be dropping Biology in year 13. I got mostly Bs and a few As in GCSE and I would like to do a masters degree in astronomical physics, in which I'll need 3 As in my final year, obviously meaning I must do very well in my AS.
So focusing on my current 4 topics, I'm alright at maths, physics I'm finding hard but I'm passionate about, Design tech I'm fine with too, however biology is hard, although my mum is helping me it's clear I need to work hard on it at home :/

So what I want to truthfully know is, how many hours of independent work, at home, should i be applying everyday at this very point of time? (Considering it's so long until exams, I need to be on top of everything and more)! Lets say I'm aiming for AABB (Maths, Phy, Design, Bio). Because right now I'm honestly putting in minimal and getting too distracted by my hobbies of Piano grade 5 and PS4 which I know needs to be cut down. A lot.

But please, can somebody truthfully tell me how much I should be doing? It honestly will change what I'm doing because I just need that motivation and to know exactly what I need to be doing to achieve my desired grades.

Thank you so so much for taking your time, I beyond appreciate it :smile:
Max
Reply 1
Original post by Tarlius
Hiya! I'm quite stuck right now, and if you could spare 5 minutes I could SERIOUSLY do with some advise! I'm not looking for what I want to hear, I want to straight up know what I need to be doing in my case, thanks so much :smile:
(Sorry this is a bit lengthy and as if I'm asking a lot in a rude way by the way! I don't mean it to be! D: )

Basically, I'm in year 12, taking Maths, Physics, Biology and Design Tech for AS, I will be dropping Biology in year 13. I got mostly Bs and a few As in GCSE and I would like to do a masters degree in astronomical physics, in which I'll need 3 As in my final year, obviously meaning I must do very well in my AS.
So focusing on my current 4 topics, I'm alright at maths, physics I'm finding hard but I'm passionate about, Design tech I'm fine with too, however biology is hard, although my mum is helping me it's clear I need to work hard on it at home :/

So what I want to truthfully know is, how many hours of independent work, at home, should i be applying everyday at this very point of time? (Considering it's so long until exams, I need to be on top of everything and more)! Lets say I'm aiming for AABB (Maths, Phy, Design, Bio). Because right now I'm honestly putting in minimal and getting too distracted by my hobbies of Piano grade 5 and PS4 which I know needs to be cut down. A lot.

But please, can somebody truthfully tell me how much I should be doing? It honestly will change what I'm doing because I just need that motivation and to know exactly what I need to be doing to achieve my desired grades.

Max

In a perfect world you would work long enough each night such that the next day you are always on top of what you cover in class (i.e not necessarily one chapter ahead, but you should essentially be knowing beforehand what the teacher is going to say about the topic you're on). Unfortunately, 'working until you're on top of everything' cannot be described with a certain amount of hours, as some nights there may not be enough hours for this and some nights none may need to be dedicated.

I was told that those who 'we' are competing with do a minimum of 2 hours extra work on areas which they are weak on a day. I would aim for this if you really want to make sure you're on top of everything and more every night. However I am not aware of your schedule and commitments, this may not be possible some nights, in which case I would most likely up this to 3 hours on those nights where you have the time.

I got the above from the average 4 hours per subject I have heard most schools ask their students to do per week. Multiplied by your 4 subjects, and then divided by the 5 weekdays, roughly 3 hours a day.

However, dependant on the information you're going over, your confidence, and the circumstances of each day 1-3 should suffice, just be prepared to face the reality that if you don't understand something, you should, if possible, work at it until you do, whether that be 30 minutes or 4 hours.

Hope I was of help.
I'm also in my AS year studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm also grade 5/6 piano and just started cello, not to meantion I horse ride and volunteer, alongside my job, plus my EPQ, and extra maths exam exams I'm preparing for. Our school recommends doing four hours a day work outside lessons (1 hour per subject)
I however don't work well with a revision timetable because I can't stick to it, so I play it by ear, and if one day I really want to play piano, I'll donseveral hours practice, then a few hours homework etc.
I personally don't find any gain in preparing for lessons beforehand, it wastes time in my opinion. Sk if you're struggling to dedicate enough time to study I would STRONGLY recommend pcreatinf a timetable of when to do homework, revision, piano etc to keep you in track. And be careful because if I'm struggling with someone or enjoying something too much I'm very prone to spending too much time on that thing at the expense of my other subjects,
Good luck and work hard!!
Ps. Throw out your PS4!!!!
Original post by Tarlius

Max

In my school we recommend as much time outside school as you have lessons in school. This is in addition to homework tasks.
In year 13 atm , and i only revised from easter lol and didn't do as well as anticipated. I think the best option is to revise what you learn in school every week , going over school work. So 35mins per subject after school , excluding homework which is doable considering you also have free periods.
Reply 5
I am at sixth form studying bio, chem, physics and psych. Our teachers have said to do about 4 to 6 hours a week for each subject.
I would say this is a rough guideline and is the average... average meaning some people could be doing 2 hours a week per subject whereas others may be doing 7 hours a week per subject. I think it depends on every individual, so see how you feel and how much you think you need to study. Maybe 30 minutes each school day and then a couple of hours on the weekend will work best? Or 1 hour everyday? Or 1 subject per day? I don't know... do what's best suited to you

Quick Reply

Latest