icanteven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am thinking about my A levels that I will start next year. I was really hoping to take English Language as that is what I prefer but the school I want to go to only offers me English Literature.

I wouldn't really describe myself as a "keen" reader, I only read on holiday as I never seem to have time any other time. I was given a reading list at an open evening last night and it's all the heavy, dense texts that scare me.

I do however love English and I would be really heartbroken not to take it in any form at A level.

I am also hoping to take Graphics, History and do a work experience program to replace the fourth subject so I am also considering that work load as well.

I would really appreciate any advice on whether I should do English Literature next year or not.
oswalds
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently studying English Literature at A2, alongside History and Philosophy. I find it really enjoyable, but it is a big jump up from GCSE and it is very different overall. No A-Level is ever going to be easy, and how hard you find it will just depend on your own personal strengths and weaknesses. If your good at essay writing and analysing, then you will find it a bit easier than someone who isn't. However, it is really important to read a lot independently outside of your lessons, so if you don't enjoy this then it may make English Lit difficult for you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask
icanteven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much I will ask if I have any more questions
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, I didn't even read any of the texts and just read summaries for AS and still got a B. Imo it's history that's the major step up, I got an A at Gcse and a C at AS..the technique is very difficult. Your school will teach you though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
65.71%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
22.86%
Yes but I might change my mind (8)
11.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed