The Student Room Group

Help with degree decisions??? Humanities >Science?

So my A-levels are geography,business,history and comp sci,I couldn't do maths a-level at my sixth form as I was 3marks of an A(underperformed) and I am not bad at sciences / maths and I enjoy them more than humanities.

So the problem is could I do a degree in comp sci,engineering ,economics etc at a respectable uni with these A-levels??

In year 12 btw,thanks ghys!!😀😀😀👍
Original post by Mona_1
So my A-levels are geography,business,history and comp sci,I couldn't do maths a-level at my sixth form as I was 3marks of an A(underperformed) and I am not bad at sciences / maths and I enjoy them more than humanities.

So the problem is could I do a degree in comp sci,engineering ,economics etc at a respectable uni with these A-levels??

In year 12 btw,thanks ghys!!😀😀😀👍

Please don't force yourself into a subject you don't enjoy. University is an expensive investment, and throwing that type of money away is not wise. What I suggest doing is asking yourself a few questions:
a) What career do you want to enter after graduation? Will your course help you achieve this goal?
b) Where do you want to live for the next three years?
c) What do you enjoy more (STEM or Humanities)?

From my perspective, you're lucky enough to enjoy Maths and as such should focus on subjects that will allow you study this.
Reply 2
Original post by Aceadria
Please don't force yourself into a subject you don't enjoy. University is an expensive investment, and throwing that type of money away is not wise. What I suggest doing is asking yourself a few questions:
a) What career do you want to enter after graduation? Will your course help you achieve this goal?
b) Where do you want to live for the next three years?
c) What do you enjoy more (STEM or Humanities)?

From my perspective, you're lucky enough to enjoy Maths and as such should focus on subjects that will allow you study this.

Thanks,buthats the problem is I don't take math a-level even though I want to so how could I at uni :/
If you cant do A Level maths, you'll find it extremely difficult to get onto any STEM degree, as well as compsci or economics.
Reply 4
Original post by Mona_1
Thanks,buthats the problem is I don't take math a-level even though I want to so how could I at uni :/

There are foundation years into certain STEM courses which you'll learn all of A-level Maths, Physics and a different science subject (Such as Computing, Chemistry), and also touch on undergraduate materials. Southampton offers this.

Many universities do not require an A-level in Maths and Sciences to do a degree in Computer Science or Economics (such as Hull)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending