The Student Room Group

Any students from Republic of Ireland studying in the UK??

I am trying to get a statement of comparability for my leaving cert result.

What did people use to apply for their courses??

My certificates aren't being recognised.
Original post by Shaunagh1
I am trying to get a statement of comparability for my leaving cert result.

What did people use to apply for their courses??

My certificates aren't being recognised.

Do you need one for postgraduate study? I wasn't ever asked for one when applying to UK universities- they were only ever interested in my undergrad degree :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gutenberg
Do you need one for postgraduate study? I wasn't ever asked for one when applying to UK universities- they were only ever interested in my undergrad degree :smile:

I need it for a pgce. I have a degree and a PhD but I need to prove I have the equivalent of a gcse in maths and english.

So did you just use your leaving cert grades on the ucas form??
I need it for a pgce. I have a degree and a PhD but I need to prove I have the equivalent of a gcse in maths and english.

So did you just use your leaving cert grades on the ucas form??

I never applied through UCAS- you don't apply through them for postgraduate programmes like Master's and PhD- though perhaps you do for the PGCE? None of the universities I applied to asked for school grades on their application forms.

Have you asked the Department of Education/State Examinations Commission in Ireland, or UCAS themselves? There has to be a way of converting them.
Reply 4
I never applied through UCAS- you don't apply through them for postgraduate programmes like Master's and PhD- though perhaps you do for the PGCE? None of the universities I applied to asked for school grades on their application forms.

Have you asked the Department of Education/State Examinations Commission in Ireland, or UCAS themselves? There has to be a way of converting them.

Yeah I didn't need my school grades for my PhD but you do for the pgce.

I have contacted NARIC - who are supposedly in charge of converting all international exams to gcse/a levels. However they don't seem to recognise a leaving cert.

When you passed your leaving cert, the certificate you get is just that single page with your grade on right? Or am i missing something?

They seem to think I should have something else. Some sort of "diploma" type thing.
Yeah I didn't need my school grades for my PhD but you do for the pgce.

I have contacted NARIC - who are supposedly in charge of converting all international exams to gcse/a levels. However they don't seem to recognise a leaving cert.

When you passed your leaving cert, the certificate you get is just that single page with your grade on right? Or am i missing something?

They seem to think I should have something else. Some sort of "diploma" type thing.

I think you are supposed to receive an actual certificate eventually. The sheet you receive on results day only lists your provisional results really, as you can appeal to have things remarked.

However, I do recall that for a good number of years from the mid-2000s until very recently, the SEC weren't issuing those certificates for some reason. I did my LC in 2006, and don't have an official certificate- whereas my parents do! Perhaps it would be worth contacting the SEC to ask? I don't even know where my sheet from results day is anymore... :smile:

Edit: a Google search throws up this page:
https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ca&sc=exr

It seems to suggest you can order an official cert? Might be what you're looking for?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I think you are supposed to receive an actual certificate eventually. The sheet you receive on results day only lists your provisional results really, as you can appeal to have things remarked.

However, I do recall that for a good number of years from the mid-2000s until very recently, the SEC weren't issuing those certificates for some reason. I did my LC in 2006, and don't have an official certificate- whereas my parents do! Perhaps it would be worth contacting the SEC to ask? I don't even know where my sheet from results day is anymore... :smile:

Edit: a Google search throws up this page:
https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ca&sc=exr

It seems to suggest you can order an official cert? Might be what you're looking for?

That's weird, I've never even heard of it!!

I'll order those.

Thanks!
That's weird, I've never even heard of it!!

I'll order those.

Thanks!

No worries, hope it works, and good luck with the application!
Reply 8
Hi Shaunagh. Im Irish and applied for pgdip nursing to greenwich and sheffield. Greenwich want my leaving cert also as well as scanned copy of my degree. I have a link for transcripts also but l am waiting to hear if they want them too. U can order ur leaving cert results online for like €14 or somethin. Google it and ul see. Iv just sent degree in and go from there :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending