Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you read? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    I love learning new things I hate to be ignorant....
    Exactly, you have to read to learn things.

If those who are less able read, I think they'd find lessons much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise Man)
    I dont read much and i dont think its that important, i find reading especially boring unless its a really good book (ie one i find like once a year). I dont think its had any affect on the punctuation, structure or spelling in my work. I am predicted 5 A's at AS Level one being in History (massive essays!) so i dont think a lack of reading matters too much.
    OK, well I'll still disagree and say you are probably the exception and have picked these skills up otherways.

I don't read, and I'm not stupid but have had to work at such skills and I'm positive reading from a young age would've made me write and spell better.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I go through phases where I'm not interested in reading (apart from the newspapers etc) and then I'll visit waterstones and spend too much money on books.

I'm currently halfway through bill brysons short history of nearly everything (got to the biologists and lost all enthusiasm for it - biology has that effect on me), halfway through about 4 pterry books and am enthusiastically devouring join me (http://www.joinme.info )...and I've bought the first of the his dark amterials trilogy (bought all three before christmas but couldn't get another full set so gave the first one to my sister for christmas) and the latest pterry paperback.

I wish I had more time for reading but it's one activity that's hard to justify when there is washing waiting to be done and food to be cooked etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)

I wish I had more time for reading but it's one activity that's hard to justify when there is washing waiting to be done and food to be cooked etc etc.
    You're so right.

I'm a bit ashamed of how little I read. I guess the only time I'd have to read is at night, but then I want to go to sleep. I did read Alien like two months ago, and am going to continue with the trilogy after the exams. I believe that reading really does help with your vocabulary, and also sentence structures such as passive tenses and active tenses etc. I'm just too lazy. So, generally, UKL does read quite a fair amount...interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I have read 3 books in the last 5 years, all of which were footballers autobiographies. Then again I was never great at English :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I read far too much: a book a day at least.

-Becs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad_infinitum87)
    I read far too much: a book a day at least.

-Becs
    i used to read alot
    now ive got too much work
    i dont think ill start reading alot any time soon
    at university im planning on revising the least possible and having fun the rest of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I have read 3 books in the last 5 years, all of which were footballers autobiographies. Then again I was never great at English :cool:
    i am terrible at english!! i got a D in IGCSE first language
    but i still like to read a good book!

ReputationRep:
    I have loads of books (almost all read!) and I also collect signed first editions though obviously I don't read them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I'm currently halfway through bill brysons short history of nearly everything (got to the biologists and lost all enthusiasm for it - biology has that effect on me)
    Oooh I've read that. I quite enjoyed it but because of the amount of stuff it covers, I can see why its a bit hit and miss.

I love reading, although to be honest I haven't had that much time to this year- but I'll certainley be doing some more this summer. I definetly think reading's very important and in a strange way I even like reading books that I don't like, so at least I can talk to other people about them.

ReputationRep:
    Used to read loads- about seven books a week, but recently I've started reading less. It is useful to read voraciously; it helps to improve both your english skills and the speed at which you read- so you can spend less time slogging over long documents etc.

ReputationRep:
    I read between 400 and 900 pages a day

Last term (8 weeks) I read 40 books fully and about 20 criticism books - that and writing 2 essays a week, going to lectures and supervisions.

Outside of term I try not to read too much because otherwise I end up hating it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise Man)
    I dont read much and i dont think its that important, i find reading especially boring unless its a really good book (ie one i find like once a year). I dont think its had any affect on the punctuation, structure or spelling in my work. I am predicted 5 A's at AS Level one being in History (massive essays!) so i dont think a lack of reading matters too much.
    Maybe if you read a little more your spelling and punctuation would improve????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)

Last term (8 weeks) I read 40 books fully and about 20 criticism books - that and writing 2 essays a week, going to lectures and supervisions.

Outside of term I try not to read too much because otherwise I end up hating it.

Don't you end up hating it if you read too much during term time as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)

I generally manage to read a book a day and it's not always fiction. In between my writing and my poetry and my part time job. in term, out of term, always..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    Don't you end up hating it if you read too much during term time as well?
    Sometimes, but I know I have the holidays to look forward to. Reading is kind of a "job" for me. Having said that, when I finished term the first thing I did was go to heffers and spend £30 on books to read!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    I generally manage to read a book a day and it's not always fiction. In between my writing and my poetry and my part time job. in term, out of term, always..
    you poor thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Pamphlets don't count as books.

ReputationRep:
    i buy a lot of antiquarian books that are out of print, i also purchase many books from the USA specifically on US history

i have a backlog of around 30 books to read - will start on them after exams

ReputationRep:
    I used to read loads of fiction - about 8/9 books per week.

However, now I mainly read textbooks; but I do love a bit of Ben Elton!

Newspapers are important, and I am an avid reader of the BBC News, CNN and The Times Online sites too, so I think that my writing abilities should be fine...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.