The Student Room Group

Struggling to choose a levels for a degree in law?

Hi!
I'm currently in Year 11 and trying to decide which a levels I would like to take next year. I've wanted to study law at university for many years now, although I'm currently having some second thoughts and so while I'd like to study a levels that will be suitable for this, I'm kinda thinking now that I'd like to keep my options a little open if I can!

So far, I'm thinking of doing:
-English Literature
-History

And then I have to choose between french, philosophy and ethics, and law - I also just started considering possibly taking psycology?

We can only take 3 a levels now, so I'm finding it really hard to choose - which ones do you think would be best?
Reply 1
Original post by Jamieeloise_x
Hi!
I'm currently in Year 11 and trying to decide which a levels I would like to take next year. I've wanted to study law at university for many years now, although I'm currently having some second thoughts and so while I'd like to study a levels that will be suitable for this, I'm kinda thinking now that I'd like to keep my options a little open if I can!

-English Literature
-History

And then I have to choose between french, philosophy and ethics, and law - I also just started considering possibly taking psycology?

Don't do Law, any of the others would be fine.
Hi!

-English Literature
-History

We can only take 3 a levels now, so I'm finding it really hard to choose - which ones do you think would be best?

I woule choose French, it shows variation, but really as the above said, any are fine (apart from law itself).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I don't recommend taking psychology as it is a very hard subject in my opinion. I'm in year 12 and studying Applied Law, and its a great subject, especially if you enjoy it. I recommend taking Law, History and French, as each of these subjects can be linked, law and history are linked in some ways (best if you research) and French is a good subject to have if you wanted to study French Law in the future. Hope this helps, Brandon.
Hi!

-English Literature
-History

A lot of unis don't like you taking Law at A-Level if you want to study it at uni, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter hugely.

History and English are great choices - I would go for Philosophy and Ethics, perhaps. You'll learn how to argue about important issues, draw fine distinctions and how to think critically, which is really important for a Law degree.

French is another good choice - I do French, and I've applied for a Law degree. It makes you an attractive candidate because modern languages are difficult and highly regarded by unis, and it also broadens your uni choices (so you can do Law with a modern language, for example)

Quick Reply

Latest