The Student Room Group

Where to start to study astronomy in the future?

In the future I am willing to do astronomy or any field in science that researches about the universe. which course is best to start of?
Original post by danthe vacuuman
In the future I am willing to do astronomy or any field in science that researches about the universe. which course is best to start of?

Sorry, what exactly are you asking? Do you mean which GCSE/A Level courses are best?
Yup
Yup

Well if astronomy or cosmology is your aim, you are going to want to study a Physics or Maths degree at university, which means that you're going to want to take Physics, Maths and ideally Further Maths at A Level. For GCSEs, you probably should take triple science (although it's not strictly necessary).

Do you mean which course at university or, given that this is the GCSE forum, what you can do right now? If the latter, you can do a GCSE in astronomy if your school enters you for it and if one of your science teachers is willing to handle all the business of sending off coursework by the deadline.

If you meant what you can do at university, there's quite a choice. I recommend you have a look around on www.search.ucas.com. :smile: Depending on your other scientific interests, you may want to enter terms like 'astronomy', 'astronomy & physics', 'astrophysics' and so on.

Edit: As Plagioclase has said, you'll probably you'll also need to primarily take physical sciences at A Level to get into the kind of course you want to get into. :wink:
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest