lamchristie418
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently a Y10 student from Hong Kong and I am planning to take the IGCSE exam. However, my school doesn't follow the British curriculum, which means I have nobody to rely on. I am probably gonna take Chinese, English, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History, Geography and Literature. (9 subjects)
1) How can I prepare myself for the exams?
2) Which examination board should I choose? (CIE/Edexcel)
Thank you very much
arthurchristie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am currently studying Physics IGCSE though Edexcel, and thoroughly enjoying it! I also study at home, with no one else to rely on, and I'm planning to sit my exams in this subject next May/June!

Answering your questions, I have the ~250 page Edexcel Physics IGCSE Student Book which I am slowly working through. I also use resources on The Student Room and there are some great websites and other books available if need be (BBC Bitesize and Skoool to name a couple).

As I said, I am sitting my exams through Edexcel and really enjoying working through the syllabus. I have also heard great things about CIE IGCSE sciences too, a friend of mine sat CIE Biology last year and said it one easily the best arranged syllabus of all her subjects. The two offer extremely similar specifications and difficulty, so it is truly up to you. We chose Edexcel as I sat GCSEs through them last year so we are familiar with the website etc.

Hope my reply helped even a little, best of wishes to you in your exams!
Arthur
National Extension College
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lamchristie418)
I am currently a Y10 student from Hong Kong and I am planning to take the IGCSE exam. However, my school doesn't follow the British curriculum, which means I have nobody to rely on. I am probably gonna take Chinese, English, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History, Geography and Literature. (9 subjects)
1) How can I prepare myself for the exams?
2) Which examination board should I choose? (CIE/Edexcel)
Thank you very much
Hi - we offer Edexcel IGCSEs for all of the subjects you mention aside from Geography, and there we have opted to offer the CIE specification; we don't offer Chinese courses, so I can't offer any advice there. If you'd like to look through the course samples we offer for those subjects, then do have a look through our website - we also offer a 20% discount to home-schooled students who enrol on 9+ subjects in one enrolment, so if you do find yourself needing a tutor and the materials to work towards your IGCSEs, do please get in touch if you have questions.

-Gemma
Treblebee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by arthurchristie)
I am currently studying Physics IGCSE though Edexcel, and thoroughly enjoying it! I also study at home, with no one else to rely on, and I'm planning to sit my exams in this subject next May/June!

Answering your questions, I have the ~250 page Edexcel Physics IGCSE Student Book which I am slowly working through. I also use resources on The Student Room and there are some great websites and other books available if need be (BBC Bitesize and Skoool to name a couple).

As I said, I am sitting my exams through Edexcel and really enjoying working through the syllabus. I have also heard great things about CIE IGCSE sciences too, a friend of mine sat CIE Biology last year and said it one easily the best arranged syllabus of all her subjects. The two offer extremely similar specifications and difficulty, so it is truly up to you. We chose Edexcel as I sat GCSEs through them last year so we are familiar with the website etc.

Hope my reply helped even a little, best of wishes to you in your exams!
Arthur
This!
I am doing IGCSEs as a home-schooler, and while I am doing Biology independently, I am also doing Physics and Chemistry with Net Schools (on the internet), which is great bc they offer Edexcel (which I prefer over CIE for science), and the teachers are v good, with small classes (max 7). So they are perfectly doable either way (for science and maths at least - English and related subjects aren't always so straightforward, especially History, from my experience); the science and maths are pretty much a case of memorising the textbook, taking a decent number of past papers, and sitting the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads