Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is semen taken from cows which will be used for artificial insemination, stored in liquid nitrogen?

Whats bad/good about artificial insemination?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    Why is semen taken from cows which will be used for artificial insemination, stored in liquid nitrogen?

Thanks!!
    I never knew you could extract semen from cows :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    this is kinda question that u will get in triple paper
    Genetic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Lol, cheeky bugger

Erm.. liquid N2 to keep the cells alive I guess: I suppose at such low temperatures the chemical reactions will be slowed right down so their lives will be extended.

Artifical insemination:
    Bad = 'unnatural'; possibility of choosing genetic makeup of offspring which can be considered immoral, erm...
    Good = can get round some possible infertility problems I guess; you know exactly which bull the semen has come from (though I'd guess you normally would by mating a cow and bull anyway)

- this is all what I could come up with on the spur of the moment so it's mostly educated guesswork; you might want to try having a look on the internet (Google is wonderful). Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yup, you can extract the sperm by using a fake female rump!!!! Did you see Malcolm in the Middle. It sooooo strange that they make us learn this. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    not really selective breeding is an important part of chemistry, especially in today's world

ReputationRep:
    Adv.
    1) One bull can be used to inseminate a large no. of females
    2) Speeds up progeny testing and selective breeding
    3) Sperm can be checked for genetic defects and sexed
    4) It is safer for the farmer and his workers if there is no bull on site and saves the farmer the cost of keeping a bull
    5) There is no stress from matings and transporting animals for matings
    6) Artificial insemination is quickly available when it is needed
    7) Different bulls can be used to inseminate different cows therefore hopefully reducing the chance of inbreeding occuring

Dis adv.
    1) Frozen sperm and low temperature storage can damage sperm
    2) There is the chance of inbreeding with it's resulting problems if one bull is used to inseminate a large no. of females
    3) If the bull that has inseminated a large no. of females is discovered to have a genetic defect, the cost will be huge
    4) Ethical objections - some ppl feel that it is wrong to put the animals through such an unnatural process and that is shows a lack of respect to them

Cheers, you've helped me with my revision, done that from memory (I'm doing 'Applications of genetics' module so have to know all this c*ap)

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know this:

Describe in a detail a method you could use to count the number of living bacteria in a sample of water..
    (is that the mthod using agar jelly??)

ReputationRep:
    erm use dilution plating or the good ol' haemocytometer i think.

for haemo, dilute a number of times then place sample of known volume into the haemocytometer, count the cells, do the maths and work out how many in original sample.

ReputationRep:
    Is this an optional module?

ReputationRep:
    and one more..

decribe how large amounts of human growth hormone can be made from genetically engineered bacteria.

ReputationRep:
    identify gene for growth hormone

isolate it then chop the gene out of the DNA using restriction(?) enzymes

use same restriction enzymes to cut open a circular plasmid. Insert gene then use DNA ligase to 'glue' the plasmid back together.

Insert plasmid into bacteria.

Grow bacteria in fermenters and extract product.

ReputationRep:
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)

Thanks!!
    nitrogen is to keep it really cold and alive

it's good because you don't have to transport cows/bulls around and can inseminate thousands of cows from one lots of semen, but bad because this can lead to inbreeding.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.