Deathlake9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am definitely going to take maths, physics and computing but i don't know what i should take as my 4th choice out of chemisty and further maths. I am not sure what I want to take at university but it will definitely be based on maths science or computing. So which should I take out of chemisty and further maths?
Spoderman14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends how much you like Chemistry, if you're good enough at maths, then Further Maths might go better with your other subjects, especially if you want to do something maths/compSci related at uni.
Deathlake9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Most university website that I've looked at value further maths and chemistry the same.
Ishan_2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Further Maths would require less effort than Chemistry at A level. Considering your other subjects, Further Maths would 'fit' better in my opinion. In our school, Further Maths at A level requires attending fewer lessons than Chemistry, leaving you more time to focus on other subjects. But, most people who take Further Maths, do not drop it, so would do a full A2 in it, so you would have the other option of taking Chemistry just to AS.

However, another option is to take both, so you would have 5 AS subjects. This is an option at my school, which I am looking to take, along with many others. They say that if you are good at Maths (A* at GCSE) then, maths and further maths are recommended. Some do the FSMQ (Further Maths GCSE similar) at our school, which is basically C1 and some C2, making Maths easier at A level.

In the end, it's your choice.
High Stakes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chemistry - More well rounded. Opens more doors (generally).

Further Mathematics - Highly preferred for a lot of degrees such as Engineering, Economics etc.
tanyapotter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ishan_2000)
Further Maths would require less effort than Chemistry at A level. Considering your other subjects, Further Maths would 'fit' better in my opinion. In our school, Further Maths at A level requires attending fewer lessons than Chemistry, leaving you more time to focus on other subjects. But, most people who take Further Maths, do not drop it, so would do a full A2 in it, so you would have the other option of taking Chemistry just to AS.

However, another option is to take both, so you would have 5 AS subjects. This is an option at my school, which I am looking to take, along with many others. They say that if you are good at Maths (A* at GCSE) then, maths and further maths are recommended. Some do the FSMQ (Further Maths GCSE similar) at our school, which is basically C1 and some C2, making Maths easier at A level.

In the end, it's your choice.
I agree with this post, except for that you don't need an A* at GCSE to do well at a-level maths or further maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (23)
13.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (48)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (69)
40.83%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (24)
14.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.96%

Watched Threads