MPs block school first aid training bill by talking non stop

Watch
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A bill wanting to bring first aid training into schools has been blocked by MPs talking non stop until time ran out. The bill never got a vote.

Conservative MP Philip Davies gave a 50 minute speech and came to the debate with pages of notes. A Conservative education minister did something similar, along with a few other MPs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6742251.html
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's called filibustering. And what's wrong with that?
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's appalling. I bet they'd change their opinion if they went to a school to give a talk. And had a heart attack. And no-one there knew how to give CPR.
username904959
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
That's appalling. I bet they'd change their opinion if they went to a school to give a talk. And had a heart attack. And no-one there knew how to give CPR.
All schools have trained first-aiders on site. That's a ridiculous argument.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
It's called filibustering. And what's wrong with that?
If you oppose a bill, vote against it. Don't talk absolute rubbish for ages to stop the vote from even happening, which is basically an abuse of the democratic process.

It has also happened for bills about removing hospital car parking charges, and cheaper drugs for patients. It's one thing for a vote to be held and for it to fail, but deliberately talking nonstop to stop the vote from even happening just because you oppose the bill is a very scummy thing to do.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Oli-Ol)
All schools have trained first-aiders on site. That's a ridiculous argument.
:rolleyes: How many first aiders are there in your house? In your car? On your bus? When you go on holiday?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you have a heart attack and need CPR you've got about a 1 in 100 chance of surviving.
username904959
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:rolleyes: How many first aiders are there in your house? In your car? On your bus? When you go on holiday?
That's not what you said.

You said:

"That's appalling. I bet they'd change their opinion if they went to a school to give a talk. And had a heart attack. And no-one there knew how to give CPR."

The point I was making was that this is a weak argument, because it would never happen. Every school has multiple first-aiders, so if a politician were to have a heart attack in a school there would be plenty of people there who would know how to deal with it.

(Also, in my house, my car, on my bus and when I'm on holiday there is always at least one first-aider present: me!)
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Didn't this happen a few weeks ago with another bill? I can't understand how it's legal or fair to do this.

-Ends post like the typical tsr user- "THE GODDAMN RIGHT WINGERS!!!""""2".
Wellzi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
If you oppose a bill, vote against it. Don't talk absolute rubbish for ages to stop the vote from even happening, which is basically an abuse of the democratic process.

It has also happened for bills about removing hospital car parking charges, and cheaper drugs for patients. It's one thing for a vote to be held and for it to fail, but deliberately talking nonstop to stop the vote from even happening just because you oppose the bill is a very scummy thing to do.
It works both ways pal.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That fact you can actually do that is a joke.

Our democracy is open to bug exploits *roles eyes*

(Original post by MatureStudent36)
If you have a heart attack and need CPR you've got about a 1 in 100 chance of surviving.
You got a 0 out fo 100 chance if you just do nothing. Maybe you should inform all first aid trainers not to teach their pupils CPR?

(Original post by Wellzi)
It works both ways pal.
What?
Simes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is now an e-petition to get this process stopped.. Link.

Reform the rules on filibustering or 'talking a bill to death'.
Philip Davies MP spoke for 90 minutes during a debate on free hospital parking for carers, wasting time so a vote could not take place and the Bill be blocked.
Tenant rights have also been affected in this manner.
Such a tactic is archaic, repugnant, and has no place in a modern parliament.Lowering the number of MPs needed to win a vote on a motion for closure, or limiting the length of speeches in certain sessions, would be options for reform worth considering.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
There is now an e-petition to get this process stopped.. Link.

Reform the rules on filibustering or 'talking a bill to death'.
Philip Davies MP spoke for 90 minutes during a debate on free hospital parking for carers, wasting time so a vote could not take place and the Bill be blocked.
Tenant rights have also been affected in this manner.
Such a tactic is archaic, repugnant, and has no place in a modern parliament.Lowering the number of MPs needed to win a vote on a motion for closure, or limiting the length of speeches in certain sessions, would be options for reform worth considering.
That says everything about the Tory mindset. Carers are already one of the most poorly paid professions (especially if the carer is a family member, in that case they get measly benefits) for the amount of work they do.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
That says everything about the Tory mindset. Carers are already one of the most poorly paid professions (especially if the carer is a family member, in that case they get measly benefits) for the amount of work they do.
I think every school child in the UK should be able to strip down a car engine and rebuild it.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You got a 0 out fo 100 chance if you just do nothing.
It's not quite as harsh as 0% as long as the ambulance staff get there in a reasonable time.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
A bill wanting to bring first aid training into schools has been blocked by MPs talking non stop until time ran out. The bill never got a vote.

Tory MP Philip Davies gave a 50 minute speech and came to the debate with pages of notes. A Conservative education minister did something similar, along with a few other MPs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6742251.html
The debate is (and should have actually gone on to be debated) about whether schools should be teaching children general life skills or purely focusing on academic subjects.

It's easy to pick out an isolated thing like this, but then why are we not also teaching children about the 100 and 1 other life skills they are far more likely to need than this?

Personally I think basic CPR & First Aid should be taught in a very limited capacity in schools. It would only take an hour and I remember wasting far more time than that each year dressing the classrooms up for Christmas.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Oli-Ol)
That's not what you said.

You said:

"That's appalling. I bet they'd change their opinion if they went to a school to give a talk. And had a heart attack. And no-one there knew how to give CPR."

The point I was making was that this is a weak argument, because it would never happen. Every school has multiple first-aiders, so if a politician were to have a heart attack in a school there would be plenty of people there who would know how to deal with it.

(Also, in my house, my car, on my bus and when I'm on holiday there is always at least one first-aider present: me!)
My original point was meant to highlight a potential extreme outcome, not make a specific argument. I guess it didn't come over as that.

As a qualified first aid instructor I applaud any efforts to raise awareness and training, but the filibustering directly stopped that.
Simes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
The debate is (and should have actually gone on to be debated) about whether schools should be teaching children general life skills or purely focusing on academic subjects.
Many years ago, when I left school and the few years after, I got a shock.
  • Nobody had taught us how to construct a CV.
  • Nobody had taught us what to do in an interview.
  • Nobody had taught us any first aid.
  • Nobody had taught us how to search for a job (although that was easier then).
  • Nobody had taught us about higher / further education or what a PhD is.
  • Nobody had taught us how to read and check a payslip.
  • Nobody had taught us how to balance a household budget.
I thought "Why wasn't there a mandatory Life Skills O Level?" (it was that long ago).

We would not have all learned everything, but most of us would have learned something. In any group of mates in the pub, one of them could read the payslips, another know about consumer rights, another know about employment rights, another know what the councillors, MPs and MEPs are for and what they can do for us.

Wouldn't it be worth teaching this stuff for an hour a week?

Edit: incidentally, the school I went to had the 2nd highest academic record in Greater London at the time.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
Wouldn't be worth teaching this stuff for an hour a week?
I agree.

I'm too old to have been around when they introduced the Citizenship lessons, but wasn't the intention for those lessons to teach these highlighted life skills?
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm pretty sure he had reasons for doing so, something like if carers got free parking, then the prices would have to increase for everyone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.73%

Watched Threads