Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the best chinese takeaway to order?! duck? hmm.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyinghorse)
    My parents own a Chinese takeaway

Going to Hong Kong after exams - can't wait to eat the truly authentic food!

Has anyone else seen the Chinese movie "God Of Cookery"? (starring Stephen Chow) A version was going to be made starring Jim Carrey, but it got canned.
    can we get a discount if so, do you deliver to north london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    can we get a discount if so, do you deliver to north london
    Well it's called Silver River, and it goes a little something like this:

"Silver River, Silver River,
    It's so great, we do liver.
    Silver River, Silver River,
    Unfortunately we don't deliver."

Actually, I don't like liver...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yipee)
    i'm trying to decide what to order! chinese the food of the gods...anyone got any ideas? i wanna try something different.
    nasi goreng (don't really know how it is spelled) it is perfect when you don't know what to order, it is everything with rice.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else seen the Chinese movie "God Of Cookery"? (starring Stephen Chow) A version was going to be made starring Jim Carrey, but it got canned.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! OMG!!! I thought it was just me that watched these weird chinese films...lol

Quite a good film actually....made me laugh.....

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    nasi goreng (don't really know how it is spelled) it is perfect when you don't know what to order, it is everything with rice.
    Yeh..that is how you spell it..its written on most of the street stalls in m'sia

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Me....my favourite dim sum has got to be siu mai [sorry..i only know what they are in cantonese....even though i'm mandarin...]....although i do love the paper wrap prawns. Cheng fan is lovely though...haven't had it in ages!!
    I love Cheng Fun, its lovely, prawn cheng fun, but only if the prawns are very fresh.

My parents own a Chinese takeaway

Going to Hong Kong after exams - can't wait to eat the truly authentic food!
    My parents own a restarant and takeway.

And after exams i am going to Hong Kong too. The food there is soooooo good! and cheap!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    My own dialect is sichuan hua Which part of china are you from?

Yup you're right, Xia Mai is the stuff in the yellow pastry with the red dots on it. No idea what the other two are

P.s. well done for cooking the vermicilli noodles! I'm an awful chinese food cook myself
    wait..i just remembered...my dialect is actually heng hwa...its a type of hokkien.
    i'm not from any part of china! ...i'm from malaysia...=)
    my great-grandparents were from china but i'm not exactly sure whereabouts in china they're from...fujian i assume?

aww...thank you! nvm...we'll learn how to cook somehow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    if you ever decide to come down to malaysia...NEVER order nasi goreng from a road side stall!! actually don't eat anything from a road side stall....not good for the unseasoned stomach!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    wait..i just remembered...my dialect is actually heng hwa...its a type of hokkien.
    i'm not from any part of china! ...i'm from malaysia...=)
    my great-grandparents were from china but i'm not exactly sure whereabouts in china they're from...fujian i assume?

aww...thank you! nvm...we'll learn how to cook somehow...
    Ah my dad's family originated from fujian, i think? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Ah my dad's family originated from fujian, i think? :confused:
    cool! where are you from? so your dad can speak hokkien then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    if you ever decide to come down to malaysia...NEVER order nasi goreng from a road side stall!! actually don't eat anything from a road side stall....not good for the unseasoned stomach!
    But....it tastes soooo nice!!!!!!! I can't resist eating food from a roadside stall......

G

ReputationRep:
    ROAST DOG fried rice, chinese people cook it all the time in my area, never tried it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sons321)
    ROAST DOG fried rice, chinese people cook it all the time in my area, never tried it though
    do they really eat dog? does it really taste like chicken? why dont westerners eat dog, cos they eat rabbit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    do they really eat dog? does it really taste like chicken? why dont westerners eat dog, cos they eat rabbit!
    They really do eat dog, I've not tried it myself but my dad assures me it does taste like chicken, until somebody tells you it's dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyT)
    They really do eat dog, I've not tried it myself but my dad assures me it does taste like chicken, until somebody tells you it's dog.
    I've never eaten dog..and i don't know any other chiense people who have either..though there probably are some who do eat dog.....i don't think its a majority though.

G

ReputationRep:
    I've never eaten dog..and i don't know any other chiense people who have either..though there probably are some who do eat dog.....i don't think its a majority though.

G
    Perhaps it's not typical, people have a tendancy to feed my dad "delicacies" whenever he's on a business trip, such as dog, raw camel tongue, and most recently, live worm quiche. I'll have steak and chips thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyT)
    Perhaps it's not typical, people have a tendancy to feed my dad "delicacies" whenever he's on a business trip, such as dog, raw camel tongue, and most recently, live worm quiche. I'll have steak and chips thanks.
    Weirdest thing i've eaten is frog...and that's cos i thought it was chicken. Does taste like chicken though....cept with lots of little bones in it

G

I love Chinese. Anything with prawns, duck pancakes, egg fried rice, seaweed, prawn crackers.....

OK I'm hungry now.

ReputationRep:
    #34, #49 and #12 for dessert.

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! OMG!!! I thought it was just me that watched these weird chinese films...lol

Quite a good film actually....made me laugh.....
    Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!! I've only just read that! Wow, someone who knows what the bloody hell I'm talking about!

I am glad to say that I purchased God of Cookery ($15), From Beijing With Love ($15) and Shaolin Soccer ($75) whilst in Hong Kong! Ah, life is good...

(HK$14 ~ £1)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.