Proving the converse to the tangent secant theorem

Watch this thread
username1426065
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Let M be a point not on the circle and let MC be a line intersecting the circle at C.
Let MA be a secant to the circle, intersecting the circle at B and A.
Let |MC|2 = |MA||MB|.
Prove that MC is tangent to the circle at C.

How do I do this? I know that if angle MCB is congruent to angle CAB then that shows that MC is tangent to the circle by another theorem, but I don't know how to show that congruence.
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by UpstairsMuffin)
Let M be a point not on the circle and let MC be a line intersecting the circle at C.
Let |MC|2 = |MA||MB|.

How do I do this? I know that if angle MCB is congruent to angle CAB then that shows that MC is tangent to the circle by another theorem, but I don't know how to show that congruence.
Let F be the centre of the circle, and construct MF. Let E be such that ME is tangent to the circle (put it on the other side for clarity). Apply the tangent secant theorem to ME and MBA. Now start recognizing congruences.
Renzhi10122
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by UpstairsMuffin)
Let |MC|2 = |MA||MB|.

Well, we know the converse is true (alternate segment theorem does the job) ie, if MD is tangent, then MD^2=MAMB. Consider now the circle with radius MD center M. This intersects the circle at most 2 times, and by symmetry, it intersects the circle at D' such that MD' is also tangent. Hence, at any other point P on the circle, MP=/= MD unless P=D or D'
username1426065
Rep:
I'd like to use the theorem that if angle MCB is congruent to angle CAB then MC is tangent to circle ABC, though.
Is there some way I could use similarity?
username1426065
Rep:
Eh alright, I'll just use the proofwiki proof. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (17)
18.48%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (31)
33.7%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.43%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.17%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.78%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.57%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.52%

Watched Threads