Not wanting to do a pgce anymore

Watch this thread
shaf786
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Having just started a job as a teaching assistant I have now realised that the workload associated with teaching is not a career that I want for the rest of my life. However I really enjoy working with young children and really want to continue working in schools, but I'm really confused as I'm not sure which career path I can go down if I don't become a teacher? I've looked in to being a HLTA but even that is restricted to around 20k a year, I want the option to work my way up to 30k and higher. Any suggestions as I've seen quite a few teachers leave the education sector altogether.
greenbeans123
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
HLTA in unique circumstances can earn more (I know a very experienced HLTA who became head of year and got a pretty big pay rise...and a bucketload more stress/responsibility).

Other random job titles that you could research:

-Education Officer (for a museum/park/gallery/zoo etc)
-Youth Theatre/Arts
-Private Tutor (either for a tutoring company or self employed) or Online Tutor
-Alternative Provision (Children's hospital/ PRU etc)
-Nanny/Au Pair
-EFL (for kids/teenager) or EAP (English for Academic Purposes)
-Educational Psychologist
-Learning resources/librarian
-Youth Worker (guidance/counselling/outreach)
-Therapist
-Social Worker
-Careers Advice
-Playwork/Play therapy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (262)
42.53%
The paper was reasonable (257)
41.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
8.6%
It was TERRIBLE (44)
7.14%

Watched Threads