Comres: Tories 42% Labour 27% + more polls Watch

skeptical_john
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Westminster voting intention:CON: 42% (-)LAB: 27% (-2)UKIP: 15% (+2)LDEM: 7% (-)GRN: 3% (-)

"We have to accept infringements of privacy on the internet for the sake of fighting terrorism":Agree: 70%Disagree: 17%

"Killing British citizens in Syria is justified if security services say they have joined ISIS":Agree: 65%Disagree: 15%

"I trust Jeremy Corbyn to keep me and my family safe":Agree: 17%Disagree: 58%

"There are no circumstances under which British troops should be sent to fight ISIS":Agree: 25%Disagree: 52%

So, who is going to be the first Corbynista to claim polls are useless?

And hey, it's not like the tories have had a bad week except junior doctors, tax credits, steel closures....
balanced
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by skeptical_john)
Westminster voting intention:CON: 42% (-)LAB: 27% (-2)UKIP: 15% (+2)LDEM: 7% (-)GRN: 3% (-)

"We have to accept infringements of privacy on the internet for the sake of fighting terrorism":Agree: 70%Disagree: 17%

"Killing British citizens in Syria is justified if security services say they have joined ISIS":Agree: 65%Disagree: 15%

"I trust Jeremy Corbyn to keep me and my family safe":Agree: 17%Disagree: 58%

"There are no circumstances under which British troops should be sent to fight ISIS":Agree: 25%Disagree: 52%

So, who is going to be the first Corbynista to claim polls are useless?

And hey, it's not like the tories have had a bad week except junior doctors, tax credits, steel closures....
Massive loss to Labour, insane how much con gained o-o
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by balanced)
Massive loss to Labour, insane how much con gained o-o
I wouldn't quite say insane. The conservatives are riding a good time. Low inflation, low interest rates (lower mortgage repayments) , high wage growth, high job creation.

Don't fall for the noise that the loud minority make.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And yet another poll today had tories 37, labour 35 and abother poll this week has Corbyn with higher approval ratings.

In other words, polls are useless and tell us nothing.
jammy4041
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The only poll that counts is the one after the general election.

Oh. :/
TheCasual MK2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They couldn't even get the exit poll right.

I find it really hard to trust polls now.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although in Council elections Labour have consistently been making gains, in Oldham West I won't be surprised if Labour increase their majority.

As bornblue has said, there are different polls suggesting completely different things, to take a few that point your way is typical spin. The only polls that truly count are the elections, and since Jeremy's taken over, Labour have been doing pretty well in them. Even making gains in Epsom - Surrey.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
And yet another poll today had tories 37, labour 35 and abother poll this week has Corbyn with higher approval ratings.

In other words, polls are useless and tell us nothing.
Any link to that poll?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...neral_election

Wiki keeps an updated list. Consensus is that both the Tories and Labour are up a percent or two but that the gap is around the same as the general election although Corbyn is performing worse than Miliband at this point though.

I'm going to agree with you that polls are not too important right now, the first real test comes in May (Scotland, London, Wales, English councils). In 2011 Miliband got 38% of the English council vote, that's Corbyn's target.

I will caveat that by saying two things. Firstly the telephone pollsters are still worth watching (more accurate the last two general elections) and Comres have adjusted their methodology post-general election so it may be that they are correct.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Any link to that poll?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...neral_election

Wiki keeps an updated list. Consensus is that both the Tories and Labour are up a percent or two but that the gap is around the same as the general election although Corbyn is performing worse than Miliband at this point though.

I'm going to agree with you that polls are not too important right now, the first real test comes in May (Scotland, London, Wales, English councils). In 2011 Miliband got 38% of the English council vote, that's Corbyn's target.

I will caveat that by saying two things. Firstly the telephone pollsters are still worth watching (more accurate the last two general elections) and Comres have adjusted their methodology post-general election so it may be that they are correct.
I saw an article in the independent about it. Could have been wrong. Will try and find the link later.

I wouldn't obsess with comparing him to how Miliband did. Remember, Miliband actually earned Labour 1 million more votes than Brown did. It was the huge loss in Scotland, and the effect that had in England which did it for him.

For arguments sake if Miliband had kept Labour's seats in Scotland, I reckon that may well have allowed Labour to hold on to many more marginals in England as tories wouldn't have been able to scaremonger about the SNP. All speculation though.

But, politics can change in an instant. It's not unlikely the economy could go tits up again.

I doubt Corbyn will get 38% in council elections although I do think Kahn will win in London without Boris's huge personal appeal. Boris has regularly out performed his party, Goldsmith isn't toxic at all, but I can't seeing him having the bojo effect.

If Labour lose in London, Corbyn will be gone within a week. If they win, he'll get another year at least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads