How do you feel about other potential life existence outside of earth?

Watch
Asad_2015
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Apparently there is over 1 million exo-planets in the universe - just like earth (that have been around longer). What if so called 'aliens' are advance than us? will they take our resources? It's pretty obvious, us, humans, are just like a new born in discovery of the universe but could we ever communicate with other life existence if we found them? Many studies also show that life on earth started off by a meteorite bringing stuff like amino acids to earth. So what do you guys think?
Reader106
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I believe in existence outside of Earth, but I doubt that they are as advanced as humans or the world we live in, what 'they' are.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I sure hope Xenomorphs exist; I'm not sure Kryptonians exist tho
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Am hoping for the discovery of the planet with the 5th Element opera singer.

Got some ideas for some choons!
Asad_2015
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reader106)
Yes, I believe in existence outside of Earth, but I doubt that they are as advanced as humans or the world we live in, what 'they' are.
if they are advance then us, does it really matter, apparently it's impossible to get from earth to other exo-planet due to distance, i think closet one is 49 light years away.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
Am hoping for the discovery of the planet with the 5th Element opera singer.

Got some ideas for some choons!
That movie is so awesome but yet soo underrated.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Asad_2015)
Apparently there is over 1 million exo-planets in the universe - just like earth (that have been around longer). What if so called 'aliens' are advance than us? will they take our resources? It's pretty obvious, us, humans, are just like a new born in discovery of the universe but could we ever communicate with other life existence if we found them? Many studies also show that life on earth started off by a meteorite bringing stuff like amino acids to earth. So what do you guys think?
if they are advance then us, does it really matter, apparently it's impossible to get from earth to other exo-planet due to distance, i think closet one is 49 light years away.
Yes OP i have no doubt that life is abundant in this galaxy and hope that we will find conclusive evidence in my lifetime. Much like life on earth i do imagine the universe to be a dangerous place full of predators and prey. I expect humanities future to be tainted with blood as our expansionism and dominating nature leads to the formation of something more akin to an empire than a federation. Brutality is simply in our DNA.

The nearest exo-planet is just 4 light years away orbiting Alpha Centauri although it's extremely hot. When TESS goes up in 2017 and scans the red dwarfs near us it's likely that we'll find habitable worlds within even 10 light years given that the maths actually suggests there may be closer to billions of exo-planets.

It was previously thought that our solar system was the exception but actually it turns out that wherever the universe can get a planet it seems to. Some scientists have estimated the chances that we are the only habitable world to be in the sextillions (21 zero's).
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Doesn't mean they haven't developed warp speed tech.

However I am reminded of something Stephen Hawking once said:
Savage R3N3GAD3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's entirely possible, it's a fascinating concept. Was watching Battleship last night and was thinking about this topic. I wonder if we'll ever find out. Marvelous film.
RMNDK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I firmly believe in the idea of extra-terrestrial life forms.

It seems plausible that they could be more advanced than us; their planet could have formed much earlier than us and so have had a head-start in evolution and technological advancement, perhaps they've reached Type I civilisation.

It's really difficult to communicate with other life forms. Already locating them is difficult enough. I mean, we have to be using the same communication as them, searching in the exact same astronomical position and for the same amount of time. Considering the distances between planets, the speed of light is actually bloody slow. For instance, for us to say "Our global population is 7.2 billion", by the time they get that message it'll probably have rocketed to 8.9 billion. Same applies to their response.

Oh yes, that's an adaptation of the panspermic theory. The idea would help to explain why the amino acids on this planet are pretty much all left-handed when clearly nature could have favoured either enantiomer.

By the way OP, have you ever heard of The Fermi Paradox? You might like it....
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think there probably are, but the distances involved are immense even for communication, let alone actually travelling. Even if we did receive communications, it would be difficult to decode them.
Asad_2015
Rep:
?
(Original post by RMNDK)
I firmly believe in the idea of extra-terrestrial life forms.

It seems plausible that they could be more advanced than us; their planet could have formed much earlier than us and so have had a head-start in evolution and technological advancement, perhaps they've reached Type I civilisation.

It's really difficult to communicate with other life forms. Already locating them is difficult enough. I mean, we have to be using the same communication as them, searching in the exact same astronomical position and for the same amount of time. Considering the distances between planets, the speed of light is actually bloody slow. For instance, for us to say "Our global population is 7.2 billion", by the time they get that message it'll probably have rocketed to 8.9 billion. Same applies to their response.

Oh yes, that's an adaptation of the panspermic theory. The idea would help to explain why the amino acids on this planet are pretty much all left-handed when clearly nature could have favoured either enantiomer.

By the way OP, have you ever heard of The Fermi Paradox? You might like it....
Yes i have its really cool XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (147)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (154)
16.42%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (88)
9.38%
Isolating with family (65)
6.93%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (34)
3.62%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (82)
8.74%
Loneliness (95)
10.13%
Financial worries (39)
4.16%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (85)
9.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (64)
6.82%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (85)
9.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed