Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello im starting my GCSE Geography coursework and im not sure what to do ti about either human or physical. I want to ask to people that have done it if what best doign it about a beach or comparing shops!

Well i actually live in Gibraltar which is beside many beaches and i have access to them easily. The thing is that its too much measuring; infiltration, gradient etc plus i need to measure these thigns in two beaches to compare a shingle beach with a sandy beach!

I also have access to the CBD and housing Estates so really im not sure which one to do which one do you think i should pick

thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I know Geography is a subject that not many people do but still isnt there some people that have done it if so please give your opinion it will only take a few secs!

Thanks a lot
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Neohhh)
    Hello im starting my GCSE Geography coursework and im not sure what to do ti about either human or physical. I want to ask to people that have done it if what best doign it about a beach or comparing shops!

Well i actually live in Gibraltar which is beside many beaches and i have access to them easily. The thing is that its too much measuring; infiltration, gradient etc plus i need to measure these thigns in two beaches to compare a shingle beach with a sandy beach!

I also have access to the CBD and housing Estates so really im not sure which one to do which one do you think i should pick

thanks a lot
    Physical is easier if you have a scientific approach because you can more easily set it up as hypotheses which you collect data for, you graph and analyse, then prove or disprove it. (ie larger pebbels are found at the back of the beach, material is moved from west to east along the coast etc)
    Human is more interactive, because a good human project will involve questionaire surveys and is more "values" oriented, so less scientific and clear cut but can actually be quite interesting as you can see variations in attitudes by different age groups or social groups to a particular problem or situation (ie facilities provided on housing estates, or traffic problems etc)
    Does that help? without knowing your syllabus, its difficult to advise further... but surely you need to speak to your teacher about this, you can't be doing it completely independently?!

ReputationRep:
    i am i the same position as you, i have 2 choose between beaches, industry or shops. wat a choice heh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Physical is easier if you have a scientific approach because you can more easily set it up as hypotheses which you collect data for, you graph and analyse, then prove or disprove it. (ie larger pebbels are found at the back of the beach, material is moved from west to east along the coast etc)
    Human is more interactive, because a good human project will involve questionaire surveys and is more "values" oriented, so less scientific and clear cut but can actually be quite interesting as you can see variations in attitudes by different age groups or social groups to a particular problem or situation (ie facilities provided on housing estates, or traffic problems etc)
    Does that help? without knowing your syllabus, its difficult to advise further... but surely you need to speak to your teacher about this, you can't be doing it completely independently?!
    i definately agree with Geogger, physical is much easier, but it depends on what type of person you are.like geogger said, if you prefer human interaction to beach studies which would involve a lot of practicle work.This can be especially unpleasant if the weather is bad and you have to ount stones on a beach in hail like i did!
    yup, check up on the syllabus and ask your teacher...he/she will know what you are capable of if they have taught you.ask them for n insight on both, but physical is most definately easier.
    good luck!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i definately agree with Geogger, physical is much easier, but it depends on what type of person you are.like geogger said, if you prefer human interaction to beach studies which would involve a lot of practicle work.This can be especially unpleasant if the weather is bad and you have to ount stones on a beach in hail like i did!
    yup, check up on the syllabus and ask your teacher...he/she will know what you are capable of if they have taught you.ask them for n insight on both, but physical is most definately easier.
    good luck!
    xx
    true but i was warned with the physical coursework options that its harder to get into te higher grade boundaries, becuase people tend to skim over the topic rather than getting scientific and adding detailed analysis.. be careful presuming it will be easier, becuase it may seem it, but the human topics may turn out to be more profitable!

ReputationRep:
    I did shopping, we didn't have a choice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    true but i was warned with the physical coursework options that its harder to get into te higher grade boundaries, becuase people tend to skim over the topic rather than getting scientific and adding detailed analysis.. be careful presuming it will be easier, becuase it may seem it, but the human topics may turn out to be more profitable!
    Exactly. It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it! (so to speak!)

ReputationRep:
    Well actually for the physical coursework i was thinking to do was comparing a shingle beach with a sandy beach, thus i need to measure the gradient in 3 areas of the beach up to the top, i also need to measure inflitration rate and the size of the material; when measuring the size of the material i need to heat it up so that all water vapour is lost then actually get to see how far it passes in a sieve! i think Physical is surely much harder than human which is gettign information from people in the shopping market right?

ReputationRep:
    What do you people think then?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.