Edexcel D1 Difficulty?

Watch this thread
ryandan123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, wanting to take d1 this year for edexcel maths, but have heard it is very easy to lose marks in, and if you lose marks at the start of a question you may lose all marks for that question, is this true and how hard do you think it is?

Thanks
ajaxkiller
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
What you said is mostly correct, I got 94/100 UMS when i did my D1 exam.
It wasn't as hard as mechanics but at the same time harder than statistics (just my own opinion) I guess its different for other people.

Now you mentioned the bit about messing up at the start of the question and not being able to continue, that is very true. However, the questions are designed to ensure that you don't mess up, the start of every question is very easily usually. But yes, if you mess up then your errors will effect the rest of your question. (Don't let that put you off doing it though) After plenty of practice you will ace it. :yy:
ryandan123
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ajaxkiller)
What you said is mostly correct, I got 94/100 UMS when i did my D1 exam.
It wasn't as hard as mechanics but at the same time harder than statistics (just my own opinion) I guess its different for other people.

Now you mentioned the bit about messing up at the start of the question and not being able to continue, that is very true. However, the questions are designed to ensure that you don't mess up, the start of every question is very easily usually. But yes, if you mess up then your errors will effect the rest of your question. (Don't let that put you off doing it though) After plenty of practice you will ace it. :yy:
Thanks for the reply, in the exams I am quite error prone, do you think it will be a bad idea for someone like me to take it?
ajaxkiller
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ryandan123)
Thanks for the reply, in the exams I am quite error prone, do you think it will be a bad idea for someone like me to take it?
To be honest, D1 isnt as bad as people go on about it. Taking the exam isnt the bad part, but actually learning the content is the worst bit. Even I found it very boring, but the questions in the exams seem to be very similar and wernt too much of a problem.

That's all i have to say about D1 really, its not that bad honestly, just practice all the past papers to make sure you don't make that many errors and you'll be good to go.

But anyways I think you should still go for it because I believe it's "easy marks" in comparison to M1
TheFarmerLad
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you can get past the stage of starting to revise for it in the first place, you've won the battle.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Some people absolutely hate D1, don't think that it's 'real maths' etc but I for one loved it. The content was easy, interesting and the applications to the real world were immediately obvious (although I've said to myself, and other people in my class, that 'a computer could do this work for us in no time!').

The grade boundaries do seem to be silly (one of the toughest boundaries out of all of the units) and yes, making mistakes in the exam is easy but that's true for any exam, just in different ways.

For a lot of the questions there is some leniency, you could get something quite wrong (the thing I'm thinking of is schedule diagrams for anyone wondering) but still only lose 1 mark for that question because of how the marks were awarded.

As long as you've practised and in the exam you double check things, you should be okay to get a solid grade in it, and it's a nice break from Core Maths.

Would recommend/10.
Flux_Dubstep
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you're in anyway clumsy avoid it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads