The Student Room Group

alevel or btec?

If one is getting mostly C's and a few B's in gcse, should they do alevel or btec, and how many?
Original post by Deenaa.xo
If one is getting mostly C's and a few B's in gcse, should they do alevel or btec, and how many?

If despite hard work and trying different study/revision techniques you find you are not very good at exams but you are able to produce good coursework then carefully chosen BTEC would be a sensible option. The change in A levels to linear qualifications will make them even more challenging for people who don't find exam preparation easy. Depending on your aspirations for further study or career, you may find some BTEC are as good or even better preparation than A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
If despite hard work and trying different study/revision techniques you find you are not very good at exams but you are able to produce good coursework then carefully chosen BTEC would be a sensible option. The change in A levels to linear qualifications will make them even more challenging for people who don't find exam preparation easy. Depending on your aspirations for further study or career, you may find some BTEC are as good or even better preparation than A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! I am planning on taking one btec and one alevel .. which ones would you advise me to take if im planning to take my career into the healthcare sector.

Again, thanks for your time.
Original post by Deenaa.xo
Thanks for your help! I am planning on taking one btec and one alevel .. which ones would you advise me to take if im planning to take my career into the healthcare sector.

Again, thanks for your time.

If I was you I'd try posting in the btec forum where you might get more useful advice.

I mostly come across people doing either engineering or sport BTEC. Several of them have also picked up a single A level such as maths with engineering and biology with sport.

A lot of people seem to go for health and social care, I can't comment on how good it is. As far as a complementary A level goes you could consider biology, psychology or sociology depending where your strengths and interests lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi there,
I've applied to do LLB Law and got conditional offer from the Coventry Uni.
There're one offer which I'd just like to clarify what they mean before I contact them.
" Provide complete transcripts of A-Level with confirming grades 300 tariff points."
What does this mean 1 or 2 A-levels?
Thanks

Free Thinker Above & Beyond.

Quick Reply

Latest