The Student Room Group

Accommodation horror stories?

Scroll to see replies

Have a cousin whose roommate would get high and cut pineapples while screaming 'SPONGEBOB I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE'. looool.

Spoiler

Someone singing for hours when everyone else has gone to sleep:

"I wanna party in the morning!"
"I wanna party in the evening!"
"I wanna party at night, on top of buildings!"

:mad:
One of my flat mates doesn't talk to me,one speaks very little English and one is a registered Sex Offender
(edited 4 years ago)
I lived in halls which were blocks of 6 I think. Someone above us, got burgarled. She used to bring strange men back to hers.
Putting on something to cook, not realising a gas leak taking place whilst cooking, sat watching TV then being thrown across your street from the resulting gas explosion! :zomg:
Russian student - hugely wealthy and spoilt - used to leave her washing-up all over the kitchen. She had a maid at home and had no intention of 'doing domestic work' at University. Eventually, we got fed up with her and just dumped it all outside her room. She then took to washing each individual fork/pot/plate individually under a running hot tap - and using up all of our hot water and leaving nothing for showers. On the day she left (mid-course) she packed unwashed plates etc into boxes and sent them home by DHL.
Reply 26
No central heating and draughty louvre windows during a particularly harsh winter. Water in the toilet bowl & cistern froze each evening and during some days. We had to warm it hourly (hairdryer and/or warm water from the kettle) to keep it usable. "Going" during the night or if we'd both been out for any time, required a slightly Dickensian workround involving a bucket.

Sharing a flat with someone who unexpectedly found Jesus. I'd come home, walk into the middle of a prayer meeting in the kitchen/lounge and have to spend three hours sitting quietly in my bedroom waiting to get my dinner. The Franciscan monks they befriended were always quite jolly though.
Living somewhere with holes in the wall so you can see outside through them, heating that doesn't work, metal or wooden framed windows and a toilet that always leaks.
no hot water for 6 months while the management insisted I was imagining the whole problem... eventually realised the temperature dial had slipped so when I turned the water to 60 degrees it was actually only at about 10 inside and I couldn't get it further... they still refused to accept there'd ever been a problem and insisted it must have slipped overnight...

also had a flatmate who threatened to report me to the teaching standards agency for leaving my washing up on the side between lunch and dinner...she was craaaaazy

3 bed house, managed to get through up to TEN toilet rolls a day, still to this day do not know what the hell people were doing with them

flatmate who decided his room was too warm so got an extractor fan thing and stuck the exhaust out into the hallway, got home and his room was nice and cool, rest of the flat was about 50 degrees, we had to open all the windows and go outside... he did it again the next day
Heater broke during a particularly harsh winter, no heating in my room for 2 weeks - I slept with 2 hot water bottles, 2 duvets and hat/gloves T_T

Pancake day in first year, me and the other girls in the flat wanted to make pancakes for our Erasmus student's first pancake day, buy ingredients, head to kitchen.. ******** flatmate has invited an entire BMX team (??) to stay in our kitchen after a competition. Mud everywhere - kitchen, hallway, showers were grim... they also threw cereal and for some reason a cucumber around the place.

In the same halls my friend had a neo-nazi flatmate, luckily he got kicked out after a while.
Reply 30
Mould, mould everywhere!
Reply 31
- Someone left a whole tomato floating in the toilet and a slice of cheese stuck to the wall of the shower

- 3 roommates got insanely smashed, squirted mayo through the flat's letterbox, vomited down the hallway walls (inside the flat), and then went home for a weekend so they wouldn't have to clean it up

- Moved the sofa away from the wall, the ENTIRE wall was green/black from mould, landlord had to call in a professional as it was 'unsafe'

- Having no heating during the winter months and wearing 3 tshirts, 2 hoodies and a dressing gown. In the morning I used to get dressed in front of my hairdryer, lmfao. my roommate would walk around with a hot water bottle stuffed in his waistband

- Silverfish (they;re creepy af because they come out when it's dark, so if you went to the bathroom at night the floor would be a swarm)

- My neighbours used to only empty the top half of their bin when it was full... When they finally took out the bottom half they found it full of maggots (gross i know)

- Bowl of milk was covered and forgotten about for many weeks. it went blue.

- during a house party, two people sat on the arm of a sofa. it completely collapsed. funny at the time but £400 charge
I had a house mate in second year who would put her music on full blast so I could hear every wail and scream (not music I liked through my door when she would fall asleep every night with it on it was probably to hide the sounds of her ****ing her boy friend who was over so much he was actually charged rent in the end but she could have turned it off before she fell asleep at 4 am it got a bit much I had to be up at 0700 most days for lectures or to get to work (took me little while in the morning.)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:beard: No I think this is the right place :h: I'm not really sure why there aren't any replies, this is something everyone's got experience of...!

Have you considered moving the university life forum to life and style rather than universities and university courses. It might get a bit more traffic in a more prominent position on the forum list.

As it is its a nightmare to find, I often forget its down there.
A friend of mine admitted that when her flatmate annoyed her, instead of arguing, she used to clean the toilet with her toothbrush.

I also once lived with a rather reclusive Asian chap, who once became so incensed with skid marks left in the toilet, that he smeared his own faeces all over everyone's door handles.

In first year we had a "vendetta" with some other flat (god knows how it started). They once left a pint of piss in our fridge. The strange thing is, it took 3 days before anyone noticed.

I also once lived next to a Christian bloke who used to put notes under my door telling me he was praying for my soul every time I got drunk and/or brought a girl home.

In my second year, we had a spate of an unknown person doing ****s in the bath. We never found out who it was. Also, my mate broke the toilet and the landlord didn't fix it for a month - we had to go to the pub every time we needed a crap.
I also remember trying to write my masters dissertation with gloves on because it was too cold to take them off because the house I live in didn't have central heating. Like, it literally just didn't have it.

and mould is a common theme in student housing. As are the words "condemned" and "unfit for human habitation".

My mate's house had a backdoor with no door in it. They frequently had their stuff stolen.
Reply 36
Original post by cole-slaw
A friend of mine admitted that when her flatmate annoyed her, instead of arguing, she used to clean the toilet with her toothbrush.

I also once lived with a rather reclusive Asian chap, who once became so incensed with skid marks left in the toilet, that he smeared his own faeces all over everyone's door handles.

In first year we had a "vendetta" with some other flat (god knows how it started). They once left a pint of piss in our fridge. The strange thing is, it took 3 days before anyone noticed.

I also once lived next to a Christian bloke who used to put notes under my door telling me he was praying for my soul every time I got drunk and/or brought a girl home.

In my second year, we had a spate of an unknown person doing ****s in the bath. We never found out who it was. Also, my mate broke the toilet and the landlord didn't fix it for a month - we had to go to the pub every time we needed a crap.

I lived with 3 fairly strict christians in second year- when my boyfriend stayed for the weekend- well after he left- they asked me if we sinned :sigh:
Original post by lilGem
I lived with 3 fairly strict christians in second year- when my boyfriend stayed for the weekend- well after he left- they asked me if we sinned :sigh:

I hope you gave them enough graphic details that they had to compulsively wash their hands for a week.
Reply 38
I hope you gave them enough graphic details that they had to compulsively wash their hands for a week.

I politely told them it was none of their business; although they may have walked in on us in a compromising position before running of to church to 'pray for our souls'
Have you considered moving the university life forum to life and style rather than universities and university courses. It might get a bit more traffic in a more prominent position on the forum list.

As it is its a nightmare to find, I often forget its down there.

Have a look at the forum list now :smile: :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending