The Student Room Group

Difference between accounting entity and legal one?

Hello everyone.

So I have just begun uni a few months ago. I am not an accounting whiz and the textbook seems ambiguous sometimes. (I only did economics at a level, so I like using the word "firm" instead of company)

Needless to say I am still not clear:

1. on the difference between an accounting entity and a legal entity.
2. The definition of "common control" used to define an accounting entity.

Can anyone help?

NUMBER 1.
My textbook says it is a group of companies under common control.

Now there are many firms that own other firms, eg Firm G may own some smaller firms, so is that firm and its controlled firms (the firms it "owns") are one single accounting entity?

So if G has a controlling share in companies A,B and C.

{G + A,B,C} are the accounting entity?

But G + A,B,C are not the legal entity, they are 4 legal entities here? Even though G decides almost everything definitive that occurs in A,B,C.

Is this because of the way a legal entity is defined in accounting:

"An association, corporation, partnership, proprietorship, trust, or individual that has legal standing in the eyes of law. A legal entity has legal capacity to enter into agreements or contracts, assume
obligations, incur and pay debts, sue and be sued in its own right, and to be held responsible for its actions.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/legal-entity.html#ixzz3sDpWliLM"

Number 2: "Common control" how is this defined?

and lastly, Is it correct to say that a public firm which owns several smaller ones would be required to publish financial statements for the WHOLE group as well as for the individual firms it owns?
Reply 1
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending