The Student Room Group

Work experience

Hi, i was wondering for someone applying for dentistry at university, aside from work experience related to dentistry would i have to do a lot of volunteer/charity work, because my friend who's applying for medicine has a done a lot of charity work and i wondered would work experience in a dental practitioners be enough or i would i extra like charity/volunteer work (applying to Russell university, manchester,kings college,cardiff,birmingham).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by uchihaitachi0023
Hi, i was wondering for someone applying for dentistry at university, aside from work experience related to dentistry would i have to do a lot of volunteer/charity work, because my friend who's applying for medicine has a done a lot of charity work and i wondered would work experience in a dental practitioners be enough or i would i extra like charity/volunteer work (applying to Russell university, manchester,kings college,cardiff,birmingham).
Why not, shows empathy, team work etc.

The more the better, as always.
do you think i would be at a disadvantage if i didn't do it,or i would i still have an equal chance.
Definitely apply! I'm in college at the age of 14 and I apply everywhere. I obviously don't have much work experience (just a week in a school). But I now have work experience on a Wednesday afternoon in a nursery and work in a hospital on a Saturday; both every week! If I can get some, so can you. And if you go off the basis that you don't feel you have enough work-experience to apply, you'll never apply anywhere! Go for it, I think you'll be surprised! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by uchihaitachi0023
do you think i would be at a disadvantage if i didn't do it,or i would i still have an equal chance.

If you have done the same amount of work experience and got the same grades/ukcat/etc as person X, except that person X does charity work/volunteering, of course person X will have an advantage over you.

You need to show dental schools that you do lots of constructive things with your life. It doesn't have to be feeding orphans; it can be extracurricular things like music/sport/etc, or having a paid part-time job.

Quick Reply

Latest