Nervous about driving on my own after passing driving test

Watch
Soneyaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I passed my driving test over 4 months ago first time. Since then I have not driven as I have not been able to afford my own car and my parents have a larger car that is an automatic. I am saving up for a little car that I can drive but I am really worried about driving on my own, I am worried that I will lose control or crash the car. I am also worried about stalling it due to the different bite/clutch etc. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips on how to combat my fears regarding driving.
Thanks
LiquidGold
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry, many people feel like this first time they drive a car on there own!

When you first get your car, try driving it around near where you live to practice a bit first.
Don't worry about stalling, itm's annoying but everyone does it every now and again and it's expected when you first get a car!

You could get 'P' plates so other drives now you're new to driving so they will be more lenient to you if you stall, drive slowly etc. These helped me a lot when i first drove, as i went from passing my test, to not driving for a year and then driving a huge car!

Anyway, good luck
ReeceM1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Soneyaa)
I passed my driving test over 4 months ago first time. Since then I have not driven as I have not been able to afford my own car and my parents have a larger car that is an automatic. I am saving up for a little car that I can drive but I am really worried about driving on my own, I am worried that I will lose control or crash the car. I am also worried about stalling it due to the different bite/clutch etc. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips on how to combat my fears regarding driving.
Thanks
I passed a few weeks ago as I won't be getting a car for ages I'll undoubtedly forget things that I've learnt when the time comes.

If I were you I'd
-Definitely buy a car that is relatively small - maybe a similar size to the car that you were taught in?
-Consider getting a diesel as you are less likely to stall it
-take the car out of minor side roads and practice clutch controls
-use P plates - this could potentially make people have a little more patience toward you or make people angry depending on who they are
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just take the car round the block and park it up again. Go a bit further each time - or maybe two or three laps.

Ask one of your parents to sit with you while you do some practice runs.

Ask if you can drive when they do short trips such as go shopping.

By the way, do not be frightened of driving a larger car. You may be surprised and find it is easier. It is usually much easier to park a larger car too since the corners of the car tend to be more visible, and they often have a smaller turning circle than a small car, strangely.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks
Aw. Me too OP

Try to drive in the neighbourhood first; drive slowly and try to park the car slowly. If there's a small hill somewhere, try that out as well.

If I recall, when I went on my first road alone, I actually switched ON the hazard lights and drove like a grandpa :laugh:
Sparster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely go out driving WITH a parent in the car for the first few sessions. That is what I did and it really helped even if I made my mum panic a bit. Don't do it alone or you will get flustered. Initially, drive down a quiet road and get to learn the clutch control on your new car before going onto any big, main roads. Good luck.
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only way to get past it is to get back on the horse! (Or in the car )

I felt the same way when I passed and I was in the same situation - I couldn't afford to get a car right away either. But now I've been driving for a couple of years and have had a few different cars and you just get used to it. Even now I can still feel a bit unconfident in a different car because you just get used to the feel of one car and a different one messes with your mojo for a couple of days - e.g different bite point, different bonnet/boot lengths, different widths and different feel of pedals/interior. So you'll always have little moments like that but in general the more you drive the more confident you'll feel - you just have to force yourself to get our there and go on routes that you're not familiar with.
mrpopodopalaus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks
I'm also feeling like that too. i feel like as soon as I pass my test I'll be scared to drive to college and back on my own. I was thinking I'd get one of my parents with me for the first few journeys to reassure me so I can build confidence.
affluentmakaveli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks

Try this book, it helps.

'How to Overcome Fear of Driving'
fluffyowl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, you just need to bite the bullet and get on with it. I did have a car straight away after passing, so I went out straight away. I drove to a local supermarket at a quiet time of day and had a bit of a practice driving round the quietest area of the car park. I had P plates on the car for about 6 months.

I don't think having your parents in the car will help. I've been driving for 8 years now and I still drive worse with them in the car than if I'm on my own or with my boyfriend. That said, I did have them both in the car the first time I drove on the motorway (it was the M25 then the M1).

Do NOT worry about stalling. Everyone does it even if they've been driving for years. You will soon get used to the biting point on your car. I always stall a couple of times when I'm using the courtesy car from the garage.
Soneyaa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you so much you guys
It is so good to hear that I am not the only one that has felt this way- your replies are very reassuring- thank you
I really struggled when learning to drive and battled nerves and unconfidence in the car right through to the end.The prospect of driving without my instructor having dual controls scares me so much
Most people I know either had a car as they were taking lessons or bought a car straight after passing. I might buy a relatively cheap small car such as a clio or corsa. I learnt to drive in the 2013 corsa- it was diesel so I didn't really worry about stalling it. I am worried about the transition from a diesel car to a small petrol car.
I know it might seem silly but I worry about forgetting how to drive/forgetting about driving. Also, does anyone know whether having pass plus or a black box actually reduce your insurance?
Thank you so much for everything once again
xxxxxxx
kaleidosparkle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel your pain. I was in all honesty and nervous learner and at times I really resented the whole thing of learning to drive and wasn't really looking forward to driving on my own should I pass! However, I did pass, and I've been driving alone for about a month and a half. For the most part, I love it! I was massively nervous at first and the thing that helped me more than anything, was simply having music on in the car. Just quietly so it doesn't become a distraction but it really helped me to calm down and it still does, although now I do tend to pump the tunes out much louder as my confidence in driving is growing. Basically, what I'm saying is, it is daunting at first, and sure, you might well stall it a few times and what have you, but the more you do it, the easier it gets. You'll be fine! I drive an old 2002 Corsa, it's a great first car, not very powerful, but cheap to run, looks kinda cute and gets me from A to B and I'm out in it every day.
Soccerboy3344
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When practicing and driving for the first year with my learner's, I used a big truck. It was scary but now I feel like I could drive anything. I used a small Honda civic for my drive test and it was like driving a toy car. Now I can drive my moms mid sized SUV like nothing. Anyways, my tip would be, just go for it. You passed your driver's test because you were deemed ready and road safe. Don't worry about people honking and zooming past you. Be considerate on the road but make sure you feel comfortable.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soccerboy3344)
When practicing and driving for the first year with my learner's, I used a big truck. It was scary but now I feel like I could drive anything. I used a small Honda civic for my drive test and it was like driving a toy car. Now I can drive my moms mid sized SUV like nothing. Anyways, my tip would be, just go for it. You passed your driver's test because you were deemed ready and road safe. Don't worry about people honking and zooming past you. Be considerate on the road but make sure you feel comfortable.
They've been driving for 3yrs now buddy
Soteria3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks
For the first month try to drive with someone besides you who knows how to drive, gives a lot of confidence. And after you get enough confidence drive solo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads