The Student Room Group

PE teaching and how to get there?

I am currently 15 and in year 11 but have a passion for becoming a PE teacher. Now here is the issue, I did not pick GCSE PE due to an injury. I fear that this will be an issue when applying for colleges/studying at Uni. Most colleges either want a PE GCSE or a person who is specified in a sport. I applied for Biology, Psychology, Maths and Film studies. The carers adviser told me that Biology and Psychology will be good to teach PE. However part of me does not believe that.

I just need some advice, what can I do if I did not study PE at GCSE level.
Reply 1
I think you'll find most Universities want you to have either done GCSE or A-Level PE. I didn't do GCSE but did A-Level so it might be worth asking if you can do the A-Level.
Look on the University websites to see what they require.
Also, when looking to do a degree, at least 50% of the degree must be related to the subject so either PE based or Sport based.
You don't need GCSE PE but you have not chosen an easy pathway. There are many more applicants to train to teach PE than training places.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/universities-told-to-stop-recruiting-pe-teacher-trainees-and-abandon-interviews-already-offered-to-applicants/

Once you complete your training, it can be difficult to find a job. It's very competitive.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
You don't need GCSE PE but you have not chosen an easy pathway. There are many more applicants to train to teach PE than training places.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/universities-told-to-stop-recruiting-pe-teacher-trainees-and-abandon-interviews-already-offered-to-applicants/

Once you complete your training, it can be difficult to find a job. It's very competitive.

Really sad to read this but I will keep trying, I was thinking about doing Sport Science which would help me get into teaching Science and then when ready/ found a job teach PE.
Original post by DevonWhite
Really sad to read this but I will keep trying, I was thinking about doing Sport Science which would help me get into teaching Science and then when ready/ found a job teach PE.

Unfortunately, if you are appointed to teach Science, it is fairly unlikely that you will ever be given a significant amount of PE on your timetable.
Your best bet is to either get on a undergraduate with qts, which only two courses of this type in country or to do a undergraduate in a sport and physical education. These course will provide you with the best chance to get on a pgce course, as content is more specific than sport science. Need anymore advise third year on a sport and or degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending