Coursework and GCSE Grade Boundaries!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anon_Sorry
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi!
I was wondering, is the following idea correct?

IF Math's GCSE Coursework = 20% and EXAM = 80%
AND you need about 80-85% to get an A* and you get, say
100% on Coursework,
in the exam do you only need to get 64% to get an A*???

Right???
Does the same apply to Science and History GCSEs cos I got full marks in my coursework i.e. 20% / 20% for the coursework and am wondering whether the 85% or whatever for A* is overall GCSE or just for the exam?????

Cheers.
Sza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
erm, i think its right yeah.

If 85% is an A*, and you got 20% from coursework then you need 65% of total marks from the exam.
Say exam is out of 200 - you need 130 marks to get an A* (with your coursework marks).

Only thing being is that grade boundaries change all the time - so 85% is not always an A*. Could be lower/higher.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Anon_Sorry)
Hi!
I was wondering, is the following idea correct?

IF Math's GCSE Coursework = 20% and EXAM = 80%
AND you need about 80-85% to get an A* and you get, say
100% on Coursework,
in the exam do you only need to get 64% to get an A*???

Right???
Does the same apply to Science and History GCSEs cos I got full marks in my coursework i.e. 20% / 20% for the coursework and am wondering whether the 85% or whatever for A* is overall GCSE or just for the exam?????

Cheers.
Yes, that is right. That means that I should get an A in Maths. But like someone said, grade boundries change slightly every year. Unfortunatly, my school does not give us a coursework option for History, but I got 30/30 in the Biology investigations so I should get at least one A* in Science.
ƒlå®è®
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Before the marking period for the exams, does coursework get moderated by someone from the exam board as well, or the final mark for coursework is what your teacher gives you?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ƒlå®è®)
Before the marking period for the exams, does coursework get moderated by someone from the exam board as well, or the final mark for coursework is what your teacher gives you?
I think what they do is your teacher marks them, and then someone from the exam board marks a sample and checks that against your teacher's mark. If they differ considerably, then they have to remark them all.

If that is wrong, someone please correct it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
nah i dont think your method is correct.

here's how i worked it out:

say A* is 80% and u hav got 20% in coursework and the paper is out of 100 overall (this is for edxcel gcse maths, which average ur 2 papers to get a mark out of 100).

therefore 80 -20 = 60

but remember thats not 60 out of 100, because u hav already subtracted 20 for ur c/w mark.

therefore ur left with 80% (which is what the EXAM counts for).

therefore to get an A* u need (60/80)*100 = 75% (or 75 marks in the case out of 100 in the case of this exam).

u do the same for other subjects too.

hope that helps clear things up!
fdgfgfdg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

say A* is 80% and u hav got 20% in coursework and the paper is out of 100 overall (this is for edxcel gcse maths, which average ur 2 papers to get a mark out of 100).

therefore 80 -20 = 60

but remember thats not 60 out of 100, because u hav already subtracted 20 for ur c/w mark.

therefore to get an A* u need (60/80)*100 = 75% (or 75 marks in the case out of 100 in the case of this exam).

Huh???? I get 64% assuming full marks in thr 20% coursework to get 80% overall grade i.e.

TOTAL = 80%
CWK [20% of grade] = 100%
EXAM [80% of grade] = 64%
I.e. : 0.8 * 0.8 i.e. 80% of 80% [exam = 80% due to full marks in cwk worth 20%] = 64% to get A* needed in exam.

However, your answer seems right i.e. 75%.
Where have I gone wrong in my calculations? ? ?
[Damn, need more marks to get A*s arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!]
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

therefore 80 -20 = 60

Ahh yes, I see, I think some of the boundaries are slightly lower than you have used but you still do not have to do very well in the exam to get an A.
NIMA YAZDANI
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
What Is Ironic Is That You Lot Are Debating About A Simple Calculation Yet You Are Supposed To Be Getting An A Star! How Ironic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unregistered2
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NIMA YAZDANI)
What Is Ironic Is That You Lot Are Debating About A Simple Calculation Yet You Are Supposed To Be Getting An A Star! How Ironic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think this "debate" finished over a month ago.
NIMA YAZDANI
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Sorry, But There Is Only One Thing To Say In Relation To All This Patehtic Garbage About Exams, School, Gcse's, A-levles, Uni Etc...................cccccccccc ccccrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaviesssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do U See Now???? Kapish?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%