The Student Room Group

Student Finance/Tuition Fees

I wasn't that into my degree during first year, so I didn't try at all and to no surprise I failed. However I only failed a couple of modules and so for the 2nd year Student Finance only paid £1,457 for my tuition fees. I passed these modules and went on to second year which I found I also wasn't too keen on, so I opted to repeat 2nd year this year (Sept 2015) with a change of course route (I started with Biomedical Science but this September I changed to the Microbiology route), this doesn't count as a change of course. I received a letter mid November informing me that Student Finance would not be paying for my tuition fees for this year (£9,000), and I nor my family are in any financial position to pay for the full year or for the £3000 we would owe if i withdrew before Christmas. I was wondering if anyone knew whether I could negotiate with Student Finance and pay them the £1,457 they paid for my repeat of 1st year and have them pay the £9,000 for this year? Or if I am entitled to any Hardship Fund as I was unaware of the situation until the 20th October, a month after my course started. If i had known I would not be receiving any financial support this year I would never have enrolled on the course as it is so much money. I am in a very bad place right now and would appreciate any support/advice anyone could give me, or any links to things that may be of use to me.
Reply 1
Unfortunately the entitlement calculation is set and non-negotiable. It sounds like you were badly advised - sorry.

In your situation the calculation is:
Length of degree course (plus) One year

For the calculation, partial years are counted as full years. You used your extra year of funding with your second try at the first year, even though that was only for a couple of modules. Retaking the second year will be unfunded by SF, with full funding restarting in the third year.

Your uni will have some sort of hardship fund, so you need to ask about that where you are. Ask your Student Union if you can't find info. However you should be aware that this is generally intended to cover temporary problems with things like paying rent, food or bills. It's very unlikely to cover a year's tuition fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending