Turn on thread page Beta

Male and female watch

• View Poll Results: Are male and female the only genders?
    Yes
    57.02%
    No
    42.98%

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion are those the only genders?

My opinion
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Basically, there are male and female stereotypes which have led to terms such as masculine and feminine. But surely being male or female (biologically speaking) doesn't mean you must feel like a man or a woman? Like how one doesn't feel their ethnicity, it simply is their ethnicity. By saying you are not male or female aren't you just enhancing those stereotypes? (For example by saying you're not female because you're not feminine, you're essentially saying that feminine i.e girly = female but that's not true)

I think that when we apply strict definitions to what male and female are then it makes sense for there to be people who feel like neither or both, otherwise gender/sex should just be used as scientific terms that describe which category someone's genitalia/reproductive system etc fall into. Biological sex doesn't define a person.

ReputationRep:
    I would not say they were the only genders, no. This is because someone's gender is very much in their mind and some people do not identify as male or female.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not, my gender is mayonnaise.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if OP is serious...

(Original post by Bjornhattan)
    I would not say they were the only genders, no. This is because someone's gender is very much in their mind and some people do not identify as male or female.
    ...Wat?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    well i would say yes because if you look at birds for instance there are always two colour variations one for male and another for female. also in product design there is a male and female mould, the female goes on top

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    well i would say yes because if you look at birds for instance there are always two colour variations one for male and another for female. also in product design there is a male and female mould, the female goes on top
    You're describing biological SEX, they're not the same

ReputationRep:
    There is other for a reason

ReputationRep:
    No, because there is not a concrete definition of "male" and "female" gender as an idea (sex is different as that is physical). But gender is a social construct wherein there is no clear line between what constitutes being "male" and "female", so yeah be whatever you want.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    You're describing biological SEX, they're not the same
    oh what's the difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    oh what's the difference?
    Sex is what you are biologically - the whole X and Y thing in biology. Gender is a social construct.

ReputationRep:
    I never really put any stake in gender nor understood its significance. You are who you are and I think it's counterproductive to have arguments about you not identifying with one of these categories or the opposite one to your biological sex. They're just stupid social constructs and I don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with it. I can understand people wanting to change their biological sex but gender is meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Think People)
    God created male and female.
    So yes.
    LGBT society was created by Secret societies to make people lose their connection with god.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Proof that God created us?

Proof LGBTQIA people are a product of any secret societies?

None? Convenient.

ReputationRep:
    What other genders can there be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Agender is just one example

ReputationRep:
    Facebook has 50 genders for you to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    Facebook has 50 genders for you to choose from.
    Many of those are the same: MTF = male to female = trans female = transsexual female = transsexual*female etc.

(Original post by ivybridge)
    Agender is just one example
    Doesn't that mean you don't identify as a gender? Therefore it can't be a gender as it means without gender?

ReputationRep:
    Many of those are the same: MTF = male to female = trans female = transsexual female = transsexual*female etc.

Doesn't that mean you don't identify as a gender? Therefore it can't be a gender as it means without gender?
    That is still a gender identity though... Like, asexuality is when you aren't really attracted to either sex but it is still a sexuality

ReputationRep:
    No they're not the only genders, there are many people out there that do not conform to either gender. Categorising people into two distinct categories is meaningless; insinuating 7 billion people can only act/feel one or the either is ridiculous, especially since society has such a rigid idea of what male and female is.

ReputationRep:
    It's a question of self-identification; someone who identifies as "MTF" may not identify as a "trans female", for example.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.